buying my first landrover

· 10 · 2171

jack21

• Name: jack collins
buying my first landrover
« on: May 04, 2011, 02:07:48 PM »
hi,
im looking into getting myself my first landrover, but im needing some advise. ive found a defender 90 Tdi for sale that im hoping to get, but im wondering if someone can give me advise on what kind of things i need to look for when buying a 2nd hand landrover, to make sure im not buying a shinny heep of junk!  :)

thanks
jack

top drive

• They gave me an MOT - fools
Re: buying my first landrover
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 02:41:32 PM »
take a small hammer

check , rear xmember - esp where the chassis rails mount to it , front outriggers , on top of the chassis along the main rails ,

and everything behind the rear axles - tap it all , ringing = good , thud = bad.

check the door bottoms on all three doors

seat box ends

check the bulkhead inside and out and from under the bonnet , remove any mats/carpets and look , pull back the door seal at the bulkhead and check for rot under the window./hinge mount

check for play in the diffs , jack up each of the wheels and check for play in all directions inc rotational.

check hi/lo and lock all work and dont pop out.

drive through the rev range in all gears and use overrun coming down - particularly in 2nd.

check it doesnt wander under power , or braking

do a check on the plates too , check its not a ringer , worth doing a history check on the reg plate too

and youll do all that and still buy a stinker :D

where are you located - might be a member localish to provide an unbiased realist view ?
`87 ninety - full rebuild with 11l 200tdi conversion ,2 inch lift and 13 inch shocks and relevent protection/sliders./ dislocation cones

Goes like a stabbed rat.

jack21

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 02:47:49 PM »
wow..thats a big list.
thanks very much, much appreciated! :)
im located in wallacestone just outside falkirk.

python

• its not a landrover if it doesn't leak oil.
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 02:51:36 PM »
i agree, if you can take someone along with you. would be the best advice i can give along with whats been said above already. goodluck.
my name, JON
disco 200 tdi,
disco 300 tdi
110 v8
3 x freelanders td4
1965 series 2a 109 crewcab.
series 3 on galvy chassis
disco 200 tdi,
disco 3.9 v8 lpg
disco 3,9. no lpg????

amature radio callsign MM6MIS

Spaceman

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 11:26:17 PM »
hi bud um just up the hill in shieldhill just picked up a 90 tdi off DRH on here your welcome to have a look at it to compare. where is the one your after.

jack21

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 09:51:45 AM »
well i phoned the guy to organise a viewing, but he had jst sold it the day before, well gutted likes! :(
so im still on the hunt for my first landrover..if anyone hears bout one for sale plz give uz a wee shout!

thanks!

Spaceman

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2011, 01:50:19 PM »
is it def a 90 you want im finishing off my series3 and selling that once its ready maybe

Dave T

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2011, 07:11:31 AM »
be very wary of patches on the chassis, mine had a very neat looking patch on that seemed sound enough but it recently rusted through. Turns out that it was probably 1/2 mm plate (almost like tissue paper) and the original rot was still there spreading. You will definately hear the difference between thin rusty material and solid thick stuff. It isn't necessarily the end of the world if you know someone that can weld and has the gear but it could turn pricey if you don't - or learn pdq.

Have a look here

http://www.repairmylandrover.co.uk/

There is loads of info and videos which let you see what to expect before diving in, even if some of the methods are a bit iffy! This guy bought a stinker with a duff chassis and rescued it (see the bit on chassis rust)
1994 Defender 90
2016 D4 Graphite

georgew

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2011, 10:10:28 AM »
Jack welcome to the forum.

In what price range are you looking at buying?

george

No need to be stuck for long.
www.recce-gear.co.uk

jack21

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2011, 10:57:21 AM »
yea defender 90 would be ideal tbh 'spaceman', perfect size for me, i viewed a 3series the other week, in falkirk, and was kinda put off the fact it was so basic. :/

thanks dave T, had a wee look at the website, quite handy stuff thanks again. :)

and georgew, im looking to spend not much more than 4.5k tbh. :)