suspension

· 5 · 1379

Riz

suspension
« on: March 26, 2011, 08:05:33 PM »
this question has probably been asks allot but im restoring my defender 90 and im looking for advice on suspension........the vehicle will be used for slight off road fun but mainly a daily driver and for towing my trailer.

what's the recommendations and best place to buy from

thanks

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
Re: suspension
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 08:36:48 PM »
I'd just replicate exactly what LR set it up like when it left Lode Lane - the mix you describe is exactly what it was built for ! Don't mess about with the suspension, save your money for other bits of the restoration.
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

rangerovering

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 12:23:22 AM »
Have to say I reckon Gene is spot on, the standard suspension setup is very very good on Land Rovers. That's where most of the reputation has been built for off road capability.

Buy genuine LR springs, you could fit gas shocks if you want a little less roll. Standard stiffness polybushes as well would be a sensible upgrade. Other than that I would leave it as is!
Steve

mac

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 02:38:43 AM »
I agree - partially.  A lot of time and development went into springs that were a good compromise for everything.  However, it is worth investing in some quality shock absorbers.  Delphi DeCarbon, Bilstein etc not nescessarily OME or top of the market.

If you are regularly towing heavy loads it might be worth going up in the spring ratings, but staying with LR.  There are a massive range of genuine Land Rover springs.

georgew

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 07:29:49 AM »
Welcome to the forum.

This may help with the choice of spring rates that are available.

http://www.members.shaw.ca/jbarge/springinfo.html

george
No need to be stuck for long.
www.recce-gear.co.uk