Mk 1 V8 disco restoration

· 4 · 1681

bertracoon1616

Mk 1 V8 disco restoration
« on: March 15, 2011, 07:19:42 PM »
Hey guys, i put up a thread about my v8 disco that wouldnt start about a year ago and i finally managed to get the thing running thanks Armson Auto Engineers!     

http://armsonae.webs.com/

Its a 1990 3 door 3.5 V8 which ive been told is a relatively rare model so ive decided to splash the cash and give it a new lease of life!

Stuart gave it a good look over and said that the boot floor, sills and chassis are all solid, (its even got a poly bush on the front driverside!) but that the front a rear cross members are in need of some serious tlc!

Ive been looking about on a few forums and im getting pretty mixed ideas. Some are saying to just patch the ones that are there, some are saying to just buy box section and fabriacte one yourself and others are saying that you can buy replacements but they are often made of cheese and are difficult to fit.

Can anyone shed some light on the subject and if anyone has anyother tips or anything else about restoring a disco please feel free!!

Cheers guys

Ally
1995 Discovery 3.9 V8

Give it the beans!!

rangerovering

Re: Mk 1 V8 disco restoration
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 10:12:48 PM »
Hi mate!

Good to hear its going! Stu was telling me about it in the pub on Saturday.

Rear crossmembers, buy them from YRM Metal Solutions (google for website). When I did mine on the RR it wasn't too bad however I believe the discos are more fiddly. If you can pilot a welder it isn't a difficult job.
Get the bolts and bushes you need as well because you will most likely have to destroy the old ones when removing it.

Not sure which front crossmember you are referring to?

Best buy a full set of polybushes (or gen LR ones) and get the suspension all sorted up evenly.
Steve

bertracoon1616

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 10:29:57 PM »
Hey Steve, long time no speak.

Cheers for that man, ill look into it, was planning on redoing it on poly bushes when i do a suspension lift later on so ill just wait till then. Im actually doing a welding course atm so this might be the first test of my skills!

Just doing what i need to do to get it through an mot atm.

Cheers

Ally
1995 Discovery 3.9 V8

Give it the beans!!

top drive

• They gave me an MOT - fools
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 01:36:16 AM »
bert lad

if you fancy trying your welding skills on it just fire me a phone call

have welder will travel ;) - your welding though ! - i'll **** my 90 up, but i'm not doing other folks(yet)

« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 01:10:04 PM by Admin »
`87 ninety - full rebuild with 11l 200tdi conversion ,2 inch lift and 13 inch shocks and relevent protection/sliders./ dislocation cones

Goes like a stabbed rat.