Freelander rear sub frame bush

· 5 · 1694

gary1968

Freelander rear sub frame bush
« on: February 14, 2011, 06:08:50 PM »
Howdy,

While doing the VCU at the weekend I noticed that some previous owner of the car had welded the rear subframe to the chassis leg in one position.
It could be that there was an issue with the bush and he couldn't get it out so welded the subframe.
Is this something I should be worried about, come MOT time. Or is it something I can leave as is coz it will pass the MOT this way?
Any help apriciated.

Gaz

piper5

Re: Freelander rear sub frame bush
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 08:54:33 PM »
i would reckon it should fail an mot like that, also not good for the car as somthing will be running out of line

gary1968

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 11:05:50 PM »
Thanks for that Piper.
I have done a bit of googling since I posted and it seems this is 'another' freebie trait. It seems LR didn't use heavy enough steel for the chassis leg and the captive securing nut for the subframe breaks away.
There are quite a few threads on there saying that some folks weld the subframe like mine or cut the chassis leg open from the top and repair the captive nut.
Anyway, once the Freebie is back on the road I will take it to the garage that does my MOT's and see what he says about it. I may have to do the captive nut repair, time will tell. ( or rather he will,  ;D)

Its not that high on the list of priorities for the Freebie...... lol

Gaz

Pilot Custard

• Name: Ian Stuart
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 09:51:35 AM »
The pushes are for the diff and the wishbones.... the sub-frame is solidly fixed to the chassis.

All bushes can be replaced without moving the sub-frame.

gary1968

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 06:28:00 PM »
Cheers for the info PC. I have already done the Diff bushes and VCU, the car now drives really nicely. I have the hG to do but then the subframe will be looked at....

Gaz