disco 2 v8

· 6 · 2338

mikeymc

disco 2 v8
« on: February 09, 2011, 11:21:50 PM »
Just been 2 have a look at disco 2 v8 1999 looks straight clean and rust free low miles ect my questions are :

what kind of mpg would the v8 get?

is a lpg conversion a good way 2 go?

any pros or cons?

cheers
1968 Series 2a (sadly missed)
1994 Discovery 300tdi

Gary

Re: disco 2 v8
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 11:27:08 PM »
MPG will be about 14 I think.
A downside of an LPG conversion of a Discovery is where to put the tank(s). They're either under the sills and therefore vulnerable to damage off road or you lose boot space.

I bet it sounds great though....!
MM6GRG
TD5 Discovery

mikeymc

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 11:36:41 PM »
14mpg oh god!!! haha does sound good though!!
1968 Series 2a (sadly missed)
1994 Discovery 300tdi

python

• its not a landrover if it doesn't leak oil.
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 08:38:49 AM »
Mine is a series 1 3,9 and I think that's the mpg I get. The sound and power you
get is worth it though. Sometimes.  :o ;D
my name, JON
disco 200 tdi,
disco 300 tdi
110 v8
3 x freelanders td4
1965 series 2a 109 crewcab.
series 3 on galvy chassis
disco 200 tdi,
disco 3.9 v8 lpg
disco 3,9. no lpg????

amature radio callsign MM6MIS

mac

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 09:17:44 AM »
Disco II V8 MPG - work on 15-18MPG depeding on how you drive and where you drive it and engine condition.  It is possible to see more when you drive like Miss Daisy is on board, and it's possible to see single figures when you drive it like a hire car.

LPG - I have seen 3 good conversions with Disco II's.  One car had nearly 250 litres of LPG storage - including a removable cylinder tank in the boot. . .
Two small sill torpedoes and one large doughnut (terrodial) tank where the petrol tank used to be.  An emergency petrol tank was installed for moments when a 600 miles range wasn't quite enough. . .

But, LPG isn't as cheap as it used to be.  If you don't do many miles you may end up selling the vehicle before you see any financial benefit from the conversion.  LPG has a lower calorific value to petrol, so expect a lower MPG when doing your sums.  Setup properly, with a good sequential system, you   shouldn't be able to tell the difference from petrol to gas.  You also get ?10 a year off your RFL!

boghog

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 02:05:40 PM »
Been running a high mileage Disco 2 V8 since November (just before the snow arrived  ;D) and found the consumption to be about 18 to 20 mpg. Worst has been 16 mpg and that was down to the MAF sensor not working when I got it. Worth noting that mine is a manual and most are automatics which will make it worse.

Downside like most newer Land Rovers are the electronics which usually result in lots of warning lamps that you either have to get a garage to read and reset for you (think ?40 to ?70 depending on garage) or buy a diagnostic tool like Hawkeye or Nanocom. If you do a search for Disco 2 problems on the internet you will find the most typical faults are ABS warnings (the three Amigos), ACE leaks if fitted, MAF sensors needing replaced frequently. None of these are killers if you are used to fixing Land Rovers but annoying if your last vehicle was a Series vehicle that had only just discovered electricity! Lots of V8s have suffered from slipped liners at about 60,000 miles so check history carefully.

My most annoying failure so far has been the one and only key fob which disintegrated and was a pain to replace. Had to start the car with a paper clip across the tracks of the circuit board to keep going.

The positives are that it is very refined but can act like a hooligan if required, it is excellent in the snow and ice, carries and tows lots of people\loads, most importantly of all the wife likes it so I get away with the horrendous fuel bills. Big bonus for me is that it doesn't seem to leak oil out of every orifice (and yes it does still have oil in it)!