P38 - "Low Brake Fluid"

· 8 · 2977

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
P38 - "Low Brake Fluid"
« on: February 04, 2011, 04:13:26 PM »
The P38 is showing an intermittant warning message for low brake fluid and the brake warning light comes on too - Fluid level is actually fine and braking seems OK too.

Any ideas ?
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

geoff

Re: P38 - "Low Brake Fluid"
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 04:24:04 PM »
unfortunately it's a P38. They tell lies. ;D

genem

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 07:38:40 PM »
Yep, the last one was " Gearbox Failure"  !!!!!

...not "flat battery" which was the actual problem.

coolcamper55

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 08:21:38 PM »
Gene have you considered the condition of the fluid, I understand that it has to be changed every few years to maintain its hydraulic characteristics and if yours has lost some of its hydraulic potential it might be that the pressure is below set level and that's why the alarm is coming on intermitently.

Could also be a dodgy connection to the sensor

T

Buffalo Bill

• Name: Bill Conner
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 08:47:34 PM »
hows the pads doesnt it do that if the pads are getting thin?
1989 110
1990 90
1988 90
1972 V8 WOOP WOOP

geoff

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 08:49:06 PM »
Gene have you considered the condition of the fluid, I understand that it has to be changed every few years to maintain its hydraulic characteristics and if yours has lost some of its hydraulic potential it might be that the pressure is below set level and that's why the alarm is coming on intermitently.

Could also be a dodgy connection to the sensor

T

He's got a low level alarm. Is there a low pressure alarm?? That surely depends how hard you push the brakes on.

Geoff

genem

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 10:20:00 PM »
I'm thinking first step is to take a look at the sensor - In the filler cap I imagine ?
....NOT going out there tonight, its still blowing a hoolie !
G.

jas23

• Name: John Sinclair
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 09:23:37 PM »
Had lots of fun with mine last week when I was changing battery as not holding charge. Fitted special tool to plug into obd2 port and externial power supply so as not to loss information. Big mistake as soon as I plugged into power sorce cars computer went into lock down great at 8pm raining and dark. (no re code key number with my motor) But thanks to some very interesting internet reading 2 hours later car working well again with new battery in place. (Flat battery is good for fault codes). Had fun going through many options poeple have written about the p38 electrics. Problem being there were so many changes made in such a short space of time you just need to find the one for your p38 when all goes pear shaped.

PS found a little info while reading that there is a generic code for some models 1515 keep iy in mind may come in handy one day for someone. and if you don't have your unlock code please try and find time to get from dealers before you need it.