Drop arm ball joint replacement

· 14 · 4766

jonmcghee

• Name: jonathan mcghee
Drop arm ball joint replacement
« on: January 17, 2011, 01:24:47 PM »
Afternoon all,
Just a quick question has anyone replaced the ball joint on there steering box drop arm?
Is it easy to do (dont need any press or anything), is it worth doing (does it ware internally and you are better getting a new arm).

Thanks in advance
300tdi disco 3 door

cooltshirt

• savethegaywhale.com
Re: Drop arm ball joint replacement
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 01:35:56 PM »
Hi
have a look at http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=10088
I did mine by leaving the arm on, removing the circlip and the bottom seat only ........... I just left the old top seat in.
Perhaps not ideal, but quick n simple and it removed all the freeplay.

Good luck!
1983 110 V8. RIP

jonmcghee

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 01:41:43 PM »
Spot on thankyou
300tdi disco 3 door

geoffg

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 02:04:11 PM »
Jon, Unless you're very fortunate, it's almost impossible to get the drop arm off the spline on the steering box shaft. In which case it'll have to be done in situe. A good tip for compressing the spring inside the ball joint to remove/replace the circlip is to compress it using a socket that fits inside the circlip and a sealant gun as available from b&q etc.
Geoff :)

Graeme

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 02:40:40 PM »
i have done lots of drop arms and are easy to remove with the puller and having replaced many ball joints i would not concider replacement in situ

scotscim

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 10:01:47 PM »
Hi
If you can't get the tool to take of the arm and need to do the job insitue try using a small bottle jack to push the spring and seat up so you can get the circlip in.
Other option is to take the pump of and do it on the bench
greig
Greig

1996 Defender 110 300tdi station wagon

1953 series 1 80 inch

geoffg

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 07:52:52 AM »
You must be one of the fortunate ones, Greame. I have two sets of straightened pullers! I have ALWAYS had to consider doing the drop arm in sitch. Last one we did was the P38 and we took the pump out. Geoff (jnr) clouted the arm that hard that the vice snapped in two. And it wasn't a cheap nasty vice. We ended up getting a replacement pump off ebay.
I have seen it suggested that to get the drop arm loose, slacken the large nut and drive around for a bit!!
It's a character forming task that we all should attempt at some point.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 01:23:31 PM by geoffg »

Graeme

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 11:17:09 AM »
well that is one way to get it slack
it is a snap on puller that i use    and when it does come of it is like a gun going off

coolcamper55

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 11:33:29 AM »
Pardon my ignorance but are we talking about taking the drop arm off the spline that comes from the steering box OR are we talking about the ball joint that attaches at the end of the drop arm to the steering linkage :-\ :-\

I replaced the steering box on the wee 90 TD5 I had, I ordered the replacement box with a new drop arm but to return the old unit and get my refund I had to remove the drop arm from the spline. I used an Oxy Acetylene torch heated up to a real high temp and tapped it with a hammer, popped off no probs but there again any seals in the box would have been somewhat fried. ;D ;D
If its the ball joint on the end of the drop arm it came off with ease using a ball joint splitter.

Confused,

Greenock :) :)

geoffg

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 01:31:42 PM »
Tommy
On older motors, the ball part is in the drop arm and attaches to a tapered  hole in the end of the drag link. As opposed to having the ball part attached to the drag link like a track rod end and the tapered hole in the drop arm.
It's getting the drop arm off the spline on the steering box shaft that's difficult sometimes, (or always in my case!)

coolcamper55

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 03:53:31 PM »
Thank you kind Sir

Not so confused
Greenock :) :)

geoff

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, 08:16:03 PM »
You must be one of the fortunate ones, Greame. I have two sets of straightened pullers! I have ALWAYS had to consider doing the drop arm in sitch. Last one we did was the P38 and we took the pump out. Geoff (jnr) clouted the arm that hard that the vice snapped in two. And it wasn't a cheap nasty vice. We ended up getting a replacement pump off ebay.
I have seen it suggested that to get the drop arm loose, slacken the large nut and drive around for a bit!!
It's a character forming task that we all should attempt at some point.

Don't forget the 15te press that still wouldn't shift it. It's still in my garage if anyone wants to get it off. Needs a new bottom seal.

Geoff

Graeme

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2011, 08:53:08 PM »
now thats a challange i like challanges                   no heat neaded

jonmcghee

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2011, 10:00:48 PM »
Its done had to do it in place as snaped the pullers trying to get it off.
300tdi disco 3 door