Starter motor spinning when battery connected

· 11 · 5209

Petes_Series

Starter motor spinning when battery connected
« on: December 20, 2010, 12:09:10 AM »
Been having problem starting series 3 2.25 diesel.

So took out starter and solenoid and cleaned all the contacts and put it back in.

So, now instead of being a lazy starter, every time I connect the battery the starter spins without engaging.

Am I right thinking the solenoid is dead?
We all know that small cars are good for us. But so is cod liver oil. And jogging.

Graeme

Re: Starter motor spinning when battery connected
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 09:18:57 AM »
i would think so

Petes_Series

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 11:41:04 AM »
Thanks Graeme.

Always good to get a second opinion.

Cheers

Pete
We all know that small cars are good for us. But so is cod liver oil. And jogging.

Scott110

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 12:07:10 PM »
Had this once on a defender so not sure if you can do this check but a helpful chap told me to try this and it solved the problem.
Anyways with the start motor out connect it directly to a battery the starter gear will pop in and out whilst its out with a screwdriver see if the oneway clutch is still working on the gear wheel thats what went on myne so it was stuck on the flywheel.
I think im right in saying aslong as the starer gear is popping in and out the solanoid is working?.
Hope it helps its all i could do i ended up buying a new starter for ?85.
1988 Defender 110 300tdi. Bit of an animal.
1998 Defender 90 300tdi. The new pup.

Petes_Series

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2010, 04:39:54 PM »
Replaced starter solenoid and when the battery is connected the starter still spins at high speed without engaging.

Graeme

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2010, 05:34:29 PM »
the solenoid is supposed to through the bendix to the end of the shaft then spin (its been so long since i have had one to bits) some others just through it to the end without solenoid without tinkering with it in the flesh cant help any more

ZebraDriver

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 08:55:51 AM »
What setup does your LR have? is it a pre-engaged starter (with the solenoid mounted on the side of the starter body) or is it two seperate parts mounted remote from each other?

By the sounds of it, if it spins as soon as you connect the battery then you have replaced the wiring in the wrong place or your solenoid is stuck.

ZD

Petes_Series

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2010, 10:21:33 AM »
It's a Lucas 45 starter with the solenoid attached to it.

The solenoid earth is attached to the starter by a copper connector. On the positive there is the main battery connector, wire from the alternator, wire from ignition. There is also a spade connector connected. It's the only spade so it must be right.

My only suspicion is that when I took the solenoid out that I might have pushed the  fork type connector in the starter forward as I was lifting the starter motor out.

ZebraDriver

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2010, 10:34:46 AM »
If the fork is stuck forward then the motor will spin up as soon as the battey is connected (the fork will be holding the main contacts in the solenoid closed).  You need to ensure that the fork is free to move and that it is in the dis-engaged position.  You should be able to test it on the floor with a set of jump leads and a piece of wire.

ZD

Petes_Series

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2010, 11:16:57 AM »
That was exactly it!!!

Thank you.

She is now back to being the lazy no good sluggish nasty starter she was before.

Where are those damn jump leads?

ZebraDriver

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2010, 01:14:45 PM »
Have you had the battery load tested?

Another thing to try is: crank the engine over a few times then check all of the connections (battery leads, both + and -) for heat (hold your hand on them!).  Any that get warm are indicating high resistance.  Remember to check the earth strap to the engine in this test. High resistance joints need stripped and cleaned.

Have you checked the heater plugs?

ZD