frozen fuel

· 15 · 2856

brido

frozen fuel
« on: December 22, 2010, 06:52:46 AM »
diesel frozen this morning engine just running got heater into it now going to be late for work well at least i get another cuppa while i wait brido :) :)
Brian Taylor M168 OMS

jay2578

Re: frozen fuel
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 03:23:22 PM »
Had to assist someone this morning with the same problem, took out the drain plug from the tank and it was like really runny jelly! A few gallons of fresh diesel and a drop of anti-wax additive later and all good!
 Totally ruined their trip to jimmy chungs though!

brido

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 07:57:05 PM »
Was just wondering if frozen fuel happens like mine this morning and engine is running but not great does it cause any damage to engine while it defrosts thanks brian
Brian Taylor M168 OMS

jay2578

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 08:34:27 PM »
Personally I`d top it up with fresh to dilute the waxed stuff as much as possible.... it can`t be good for your engine running waxed fuel through it, its either that or get a little blow heater under the tank for a while to warm it up a bit.
 The diesel that we took from the tank looked like chicken stock, cloudy and thick

Scott110

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 10:27:56 AM »
Lol sorry to jump on your thread Brido but im struggling with frozen landrover.
How di you get on with her myne still is one frozen lady.
I cant even get fuel out the tank and there a bood 1/2 in there.
I changed the filter and what fuel was in there was lime green and looked like melted liqued wax.
Its now been 3 days odd its sat and its just freezing more i cant thaw it out any ideas?
She might have to just go in the drive till spring lol.
1988 Defender 110 300tdi. Bit of an animal.
1998 Defender 90 300tdi. The new pup.

jay2578

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 10:33:06 AM »
Tried a blow heater under the tank for a while? Add more diesel(fresh), Anti-wax additive

metrosul

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 08:30:09 PM »
Had a possible prob with frozen fuel too but where do you buy the anti waxing additive - Alastair.
Alastair

georgew

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 09:02:05 PM »
A Motor Factors,
Car Parts place,
Filling Station,
On-line
A Big place With Hal & Ford in the name,
Possibly not available in a place with Mother & care in the name..
Anyplace really near you that sells it.

where are you???
george

No need to be stuck for long.
www.recce-gear.co.uk

metrosul

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 09:41:07 PM »
glasgow but local accessory shop hadnt heard of it. There is a Halfords not too far away so will go there - thanks! Not trien Mothercare or Ikea - yet.
Alastair

Graeme

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2010, 09:45:46 PM »
try clydebank oil company

Sandy

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2010, 10:46:41 PM »
I know lorry drivers in Bathgate use blowtorches on the underside of the tanks. They swear by it! Not sure if Health and Safety would approve.

coolcamper55

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2010, 10:59:06 PM »
Yes but their tanks are metal, some land rovers have plastic tanks so dont think a blowtorch is a good idea ;D ;D

Clanforbes

• She's a good runner
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2010, 05:31:04 PM »
I recently had this problem with my defender when I'd parked it in an exposed spot in the work's car park.  Our temperatures during the night had dropped to -21?c.  Next morning my def's (TD5) brand new fuel pump was screeching it's head off.  I left it for a couple of hours until daylight and came back to it with a brand new heavy-duty tractor battery (my battery had seen better days too) and it fired up after a couple of tries using the new battery as a jumper.

I went straight to my local garage and put 5L of unleaded in the tank and filled it up with derv.  As I have a 80L tank, this gave me a mix of approx 6?25% petrol to derv.  Never had any more problems with starting until I re-filled the tank about a week later and the temperatures dropped a gain to about -17?c.  Once again, I simply added 5L of unleaded and filled the tank to the top.  The remaining petrol left from the first time added to the new petrol will be giving me a mix of approx 7% to 8%.  To the best of my knowledge, it is ok to go up to about 10% petrol.

If anything, my TD5 is running slightly better on the mix since I first put the petrol in.  I wouldn't do it as normal practice, but only to keep me mobile in this weather.

It's an old truckers trick, and, since I'm an old trucker it works for me.

Ron.

Scott110

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2010, 09:03:56 PM »
i have decided best method for myne is to ignore it till around 2nd january thats when the beer roughly runs out. By then i pray the damn weather has warmed up and thawed it out. Looked at it today even if it did start id not drive that icebox. Cant get the other old reliableish petrol landrover out the driveway as the trailer blocking it has decided to seize all 4 wheels and weighing 750kg it aint moving nowere... now if that aint a sign not to drive nowt is.
Shops are just at the bottom of the road for supplys so im ok real pain not having the motor though. Anyhoo ahve a great crimbo folks.
1988 Defender 110 300tdi. Bit of an animal.
1998 Defender 90 300tdi. The new pup.

I.AM_a Driver

• Daily Driver: Td5 90 - MAS325
    • Convoy for Heroes
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2010, 10:27:59 PM »
I should have filled up at my work recently, the tanker driver filled the 'standard' unleaded tank with diesel so I could have taken 5-10 litres of mixed fuel and then topped off with diesel. Mind you I've not had it so cold I've had problems, but the cold weather is due to come back next week.

Anyone know whether it'd be safe to try the same with a TDCi, as we had some probs with the 110 DC in the extreme cold at the RDA.

CONVOY for HEROES 2014 is coming to Long Marston Airfield, Warwickshire, Easter Weekend 18-21 April