Strange noise from My 90's axle. Help please ??

· 5 · 1599

rodspink

Strange noise from My 90's axle. Help please ??
« on: December 23, 2010, 08:59:05 PM »
Hi peeps,
My landrover has developed a noise from what I think would be Driver side front. Now the only way to describe it is a low pitch squeel (very low pitch) its not constant it like only on part of the rotation i.e like the tyre is not running concetric and catching something on the way round its also very loud. There is no knocking ,no vibration just the noise. When I turn the steering wheel it will go away but quickly come back when going straight. Its no worse turning left of right. When above 30 mph you cant hear it. I jack the car up and turn the wheels and cant hear a thing so it seems to only when the axle has the load of the car on it.
Any idea chaps.

Thank you

Rod

georgew

Re: Strange noise from My 90's axle. Help please ??
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 09:14:42 PM »
Funnily or not as the case is,
that can be the sound you get with a Propshaft UJ on the way out.

You really need to look close at the brake disc dust sheild that can get distorted in this weather.
Sticking brake caliper/shoes.
(Things greased up & serviced for the winter!)

Have you checked the wheel nut tightness ?
& when jacked up & checked the wheel/bearings by grabbing the wheel 3 & 9 oclock, then 12 & 6 oclock & waggeling.
good luck,
hopefull someone more mechanically minded will be along with technically correct ideas.
I just check the basics first.

george
No need to be stuck for long.
www.recce-gear.co.uk

mac

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 09:53:03 PM »
Brake disc backing plate or as has been said wheel nuts are two simple things to check.  I had a single nut come loose earlier in the year and I thought I'd knackered a diff (shifting hay bales on a trailer the week before with a tight uphill reverse on every trip!) but it turned out to be 1 wheel nut slightly loose. . .  after putting it up in the air on 2 different ramps to try and diagnose the problem I felt a bit silly. . .  :-[

rodspink

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 09:54:21 PM »
Hi George.

Thanks for the reply.

I had the wheels off tonight, I was checking for the likes of the hub scraping on something but no its all clear. Sure its not the brakes as it dosent alter in anyway if I press the brakes when the noise is happening.
The only thing I can think of is the bearings or the c.v, the bearing feel ok when I was turning the hub by hand.
Greased up the Props and again no difference. Sure its not the gear boxes. Thinking I might have to get it on 4 axles stands and run the bloody thing.

Regards

Rod

georgew

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 10:06:07 PM »
I really would give the UJ a good check,
 first time i came across the noise & the resulting failure,
i stupidly never remembered it well enough years later untill i had a pretty serious failure that luckily came out not to badly.

It happened in the outrside lane on the M80 just where there is no hard shoulder.
(thanks again to Strathearn Engineering on the help with that one.)

Now i take noises very seriously,
Maybe get someone elses ear/senses to assist in finding the source.

Have a nice xmas & new year
george

Edit PS afterthought.
The CV's have been done with the correct High temp grease havnt they? Lith-moly or similar

« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 10:27:57 PM by georgew »
No need to be stuck for long.
www.recce-gear.co.uk