cruncher 110

diff lock on ice
« on: December 20, 2010, 09:46:59 PM »
 hi all ,a question which might be an easy one to answer,my landy with trailer connected,trying to tow a large estate car with another car on a trailer up a short steepish ice covered hill,i put the diff lock on ,in low box managed to move them enough for them to sort out their mis hap .[ their trailer was not lined up for the hill after a number of failed attempts ] I was wondering is it possible for all the power to go  to one wheel,on thick ice,even when diff locks engaged? I looked at my wheels at the time and only one was actually driving . was i  being too demanding of poor old landy?   

Big Slippy

Re: diff lock on ice
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 10:04:05 PM »

Sounds as if diff lock was NOT engaged as it's my understanding that the power goes to the wheel strugglling for grip UNTIL you engage diff lock. This then splits power 50/50 to one wheel on both axles.

Happy to be corrected though and we can both learn something.!!
2005 Alive Defender 110 Double Cab
2015 Range Rover Sport

cruncher 110

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 10:15:38 PM »
now that you mention it ,my diff lock lever has been known to pop out. the light on the dash was on at the time. a bit more care on my part should  i need to do that sort of thing again , i was wondering if it was my mistake not the landys :) thanks   

aqms987

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 10:18:39 PM »
Hi
 As per the previous reply, the diff lock locks up the"third diff" in the transfer box & splits the drive equally to the front & rear axles.
 Then both front & rear diffs operate as normal ie if one wheel slips then the other on that axle will not drive as in cross axled,
 so then if one wheel on each axle slips then no movement will result. That is why some people fit cross-axle difflocks as fitted standard in Unimogs etc.
 Regards