Helping hand ... gone wrong.

· 4 · 1452

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
Helping hand ... gone wrong.
« on: December 15, 2010, 10:28:44 PM »
...so off I toddle into town. Drive into the car park and get waved down by two lads in painters overalls. " Can you help, left the lights on and its flat..." Now, I'm in the P38, Liz's car. Few tools, no rope, no jump-leads, so I say "Sorry - unless you've got a rope ?"

Lad No 1 replies, "I think I've a rope in the car...." rootles about and emerges with a ratchet tie-down strap. Not fantastic but good enough to tow-start it methinks. Soooo, while I reverse up he attaches it under the car, I tie a loop in t'other end and we set off sedately across the tarmac.....until there is a bit of  bang and he stops....

On looking behind the "tow rope" now has about 5ft of pipework attached to it, now pouring power steering fluid on the deck. Woops. I never thought to ask him what he'd attached the far end to.... Last seen he was rounding up a posse to push-start it.  :(

If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

python

• its not a landrover if it doesn't leak oil.
Re: Helping hand ... gone wrong.
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 08:18:34 AM »
Lol. Oh dear. Think he will be more careful next time.
my name, JON
disco 200 tdi,
disco 300 tdi
110 v8
3 x freelanders td4
1965 series 2a 109 crewcab.
series 3 on galvy chassis
disco 200 tdi,
disco 3.9 v8 lpg
disco 3,9. no lpg????

amature radio callsign MM6MIS

jay2578

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 11:21:48 AM »
Since my "First PROPER recovery" post I have recovered/towed a few more(although I have towed lots of various loads) cars out of the snow/ice, and I always insist on making the connection between rope/strap and vehicle, an approach I think all owners of the towing vehicle should adopt. Especially as a couple of the vehicles I have towed had no idea what a towing eye was, or where to connect it. I also carry various ropes/straps, some with hooks, some with loops and just straight rope, jump leads and ratchet straps for self-recovery if ever required   

aqms987

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 12:35:09 PM »
I would suggest encouraging the owner/driver to connect the tow but check it yourself before towing!
 In my fairly extensive experience male drivers are very reluctant to accept advice whilst women drivers are usually more amenable to
 proper guidance. After the damage is done is too late!
 It may seem like over-kill but I carry a straight bar specifically designed for the job.

Allan Martin
 Stag Recovery