What tyres

· 14 · 2873

ffourphantomfixer

• Name: Andrew Forrest
What tyres
« on: December 08, 2010, 09:04:45 AM »
Hi Folks.

I know this is going to be one of those questions with several answers and differing oppinions but any input will be greatly recieved.

What would be the best make and model of tyres to fit to a series 2a to cope with this weather?

I bought the landy at the begining of this year just for this sort of weather but im going to use it several days each month to keep everything mooving.

Cheers, Drew.
She said at my age I need something else to play with

Gary

Re: What tyres
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 09:44:13 AM »
Totally different vehicle but I've been really impressed by the snow performance of the General Grabber AT2's on my Discovery 2.
MM6GRG
TD5 Discovery

bairnr

• Name: David Russell
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 09:46:47 AM »
Same as Gary - we've got a freelander and have the General Grabber AT2 on the front end - they are proving to be great - will have to check whats on the 90 later on.
2000 discovery td5
1989 LR Defender 90

Radarears

• photo bucket
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 09:55:37 AM »
I have some Goodyear A/T's that I got from Lee and they are fantastic in the snow but I would admit not just as good as good as the BF goodrich A/T's on one of my friends 90 who can pull through the deepest snow in our car park.
Discovery td5 "Monte"

And the registered keeper of a Range Rover 4.0 se

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 01:30:30 PM »
Hi Folks.

I know this is going to be one of those questions with several answers and differing oppinions but any input will be greatly recieved.

What would be the best make and model of tyres to fit to a series 2a to cope with this weather?

I bought the landy at the begining of this year just for this sort of weather but im going to use it several days each month to keep everything mooving.

Cheers, Drew.

For these sort of conditions a M+S pattern - less aggressive then a full on mud tyre - tends to be best for road use I believe - better grip on packed snow. I put my roll last winter down, in part, to the tyres - heavy chunky pattern leading to almost no grip on ice, 2 tonne ice skate heading down the A821 towards the ditch.... :-( 
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

Scott110

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 02:14:20 PM »
im a huge fan of the cheaper brand Insa Turbo range i use the Sahara tread pattern all year round. No change to fuel econemy and i was shocked at that.
Landy is slower but not by much. Very grippy on the road and even on greecy corners they give me confidence. Stop very well on the road.
In snow hardpacked no worry even sheet ice they will plod on i never engage difflock on ice. Very deep stuff they excel in. Im running them low the now 25psi.Their a MT tyre but its a landy and i dont want to test the limit of grip in a landy on a dry road they do the job just fine.
Maybe a bit overkill but if its just a winter tyre i cant reccomend anyhting else.
1988 Defender 110 300tdi. Bit of an animal.
1998 Defender 90 300tdi. The new pup.

elegia

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2010, 05:05:46 PM »
I'm running Cooper ATR tyres and so far can't fault them.

aqms987

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2010, 10:10:33 PM »
Hi I have used BFG mud terrain for many years for rally recovery and general road use. I have always found them to be excellent in all conditions & very durable ie excellent mileage over a long period of use, not cheap but you get what you pay for!

Allan

dantheman

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2010, 08:38:48 PM »
i got a set of 750  r16 michelin xzls from arrolman on and they've been superb,i ve been going mostly everywhere in 2wd with them
land rover daft!!!or just plain daft!!!!!

ffourphantomfixer

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2010, 05:33:35 PM »
Thanks very much to all that took the time to answer.

It looks like A/T's are the way to go.

Has anybody used the Kumho tyres? I have been using them on my BMW on and off for the last 11 years and find them fantastic even in the wet, just wondering what you guys think of their a/t tyres?

Thanks again.

Drew.

coolcamper55

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2010, 05:43:52 PM »
I have just put Khumo KL71's on my 110 and took off AT's. The AT's at the front were BFG and were down to 3mm and useless even in wet grass. The rears are Goodyear Wrangler AT/R with about 8mm so I have kept them. Might do someone a turn.

This is the second Land Rover I have put the Khumo's on and both this winter and last they got me thro snow when all others had stopped.
A tad more road noise than the AT's but not all that much of a nuisance.

They cope well with snow, mud, rocks and the likes but as we all know black ice is only safe with tyres with studs

Oh ?420 for the 4 fitted and balanced.

Tommy

genem

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2010, 09:31:47 PM »
I'm also on Kumho tyres, MT Venture, a copy of the old BFG Mud Terrain. Very pleased with them.
Sadly the pattern I've got are obsolete, got the last two hiding at the back of Lix Tolls tyre container a month or two back :-)

ffourphantomfixer

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2010, 03:54:01 PM »
What tyres were you on when you rolled your landy?

genem

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2010, 04:33:27 PM »
What tyres were you on when you rolled your landy?

As above but the two front ones were pretty well worn.

I'm not sure any tyre makes that much difference when you are on wet sheet ice tho....   :(