Strange noise appered on the 110.

· 3 · 1561

Scott110

Strange noise appered on the 110.
« on: November 30, 2010, 04:16:22 PM »
HI
In the last few days inline with the snow dont know if its connected but i have got slight brake issues and there is a rubbing noise if i turn right coming from my front passenger side. Its not a cliking noise its like scraping if you rock the steering violently you can get the same noise. Im not sure if it the CV but when i told a boy it can sometimes sound like mobile phone interferance on a radio he said yer CV. The swivel seal popped on that side this week aswell so it needs stripped  whats a good sign of a duffed Cv last time i checked they were in good condition no play at all same with the wheel bearing.
Brake problem is after a long decent in the snow the brake pedal has went slightly spongy as if the rear drums are not working right and the back passenger side drum rings slightly when braking. Kinda double tap to get full power the right feeling on the pedal etc. The brakes were fully overhauled about 10 months back and it flew its MOT just last week. Dont think i overheated the brakes .
Any pointers befor i set about her be appriciated.
1988 Defender 110 300tdi. Bit of an animal.
1998 Defender 90 300tdi. The new pup.

cooltshirt

• savethegaywhale.com
Re: Strange noise appered on the 110.
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 05:53:02 PM »
Rear drum are manually adjusted ............ in theory you wind up the adjusters until the brakes lock and then back it off a click a two, but I'd be inclined to pop the drums off and check all is well first.
Front noise could be a wheel bearing ............... but as you say it all needs stripped, just keep going until you hit the problem.
Good luck!
1983 110 V8. RIP

Scott110

Re: Strange noise appered on the 110.
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 11:28:48 AM »
 ;D
Lol the brakes are fine after thawing out the underside i spotted the problem a solid peice of ice had moulded itself around the adjuster but it had a large weighty bit hanging and it simply threw the adjustment out. Pedal nice and solid again. Not that im useing the brakes much the now just stopping on the gears still alot of unplouged roads here.
Just gota sort the rubbing noise now.
Cheers.
1988 Defender 110 300tdi. Bit of an animal.
1998 Defender 90 300tdi. The new pup.