green lanes help

· 6 · 1969

stuee147

green lanes help
« on: December 04, 2010, 11:13:09 PM »
ok firstly hi all
im sort a new to this site well been registered for a while but not had chance to get on much lol,
iv been a s3 landy owner for about 8 years now and for the last 2 years or so up here in Scotland but unfortunately iv not had the landy running up here till now.
but when i was in England i was out in the landy all the time at weekends at events and courses and during the week on the old green lanes.
now i have to ask cos i cant find any info do you have green lanes in Scotland ??????????
if so where and how do i find them. i cant seem to find them marked on OS maps as i used to down south and i cant even find info on the councile web sites like i used to ???? am i just looking in the wrong areas or what  ??? ??? ??? ???

hope someone could help
oh and by the way im near Falkirk lol

cheers
stu

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
Re: green lanes help
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 11:38:42 PM »
Stu, Sadly there are almost no legally drivable rights of way in Scotland other than the public highway. A fair few footpaths and some of the most open access legislation in Europe - provided you are walking, riding a horse or canoeing - but zip for the 4x4 fraternity I'm afraid. The one really good one that I know of is the Corriearrack Pass but the landowner at the far end disputes its status and its been deliberately blocked for years. 

The club (Sandy) organises some great Green Road Runs but these are courtesy of the landowners, and by permission, not "as of right". The runs are very popular but I'm sure Sandy won't mind me saying, are more of a scenic drive than what might be encountered on some English byways. The Forestry Commission has a couple of "Forest Drive" routes and these are also very scenic but aimed at ordinary cars. The club also organises some great "Driving days" with permission to drive on some very large acreages of land.

There are a couple of folk on here who organise some amazing looking off-road trips - but again they are with the owners permission. Basically off-road driving in Scotland means getting some-ones permission or paying, poking your nose up a track "on spec" is likely to get you a frosty reception. Sorry !

If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

stuee147

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 11:52:26 PM »
oh it dont look to good then lol
thats a real shame i think greenlaneing is as good as some of the courses maybe not as challenging but they can be very enjoyable and scenic when treated with care.

do you know of any good courses in the area i did here about one a while ago i think it was somewhere near Dunfermline i think but i cant seem to find any pay as you go courses apart from ones where you pay ?200 to ?300 and use there 4+4 where i want one as cheep as poss and i use my own landy

thanks again

stu

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 12:16:23 AM »
Stu,

Check the "non SLROC events" threads - several trips to "bring your own" pay and play described there.

G.
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

geoffg

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 08:20:35 AM »
There's Glentarkie not far from Dunfermline at Strathmiglo. I think they still have a "Mad on Mud" club. Very big site with lots of varied terrain.
http://www.glentarkie.co.uk/
Next Sunday's Green Road Run should be "interesting" if the snow stays.
Geoff  :)

Black Sheep

• "should have bought a 90"
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2010, 09:51:47 AM »
Hi and welcome. As Geoff mentioned a few of us here are also members at Glentarkie and will try and meet up there for a play. This club also offers excellent activities throughout the year which should meet all needs depending on what you want to do. There are also a couple of pay and play sites which we sometimes visit  and you will see these advertised under non SLROC events.

All the best

Ross