Hello from Moray, another newbie

· 14 · 3964

eenomc

Hello from Moray, another newbie
« on: October 25, 2010, 07:53:07 PM »
Hello, just thought I'd introduce myself since I've put my membership into the post this morning. Recently bought a TD5 Discovery and hoping to get along to some meets in the future. Had a 300tdi before the TD5 that gave many years good service.
Been sorting a few problems with the TD5 but by far the biggest one is a suspected cracked cylinder head thats pressurising the cooling system. Have persuaded myself that a new replacement is the best option. Only problem is finding someone up in the North East of Scotland with the ability to fit it within the next month, may have to contemplate some diy-had a look at the workshop manual and reckon it might not be too bad.
1999 Discovery TD5
1994 300TDi Discovery (missed greatly)

rover51

• rover51
Re: Hello from Moray, another newbie
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 08:46:26 PM »
Welcome to the Forum Iain
I wish I knew more,
But then, don't we all.

mudpuddle

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 09:15:25 PM »
Hi and welcome, If you take on the head I'm sure you'll get enough advise from the forum to complete it. WELCOME

eenomc

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 09:43:09 PM »
Thanks guys, leaning more and more to go for it myself. Got the full workshop manual so will spend a night having a look through it and find out which Land Rover special tools are required.
1999 Discovery TD5

piper5

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 08:36:04 PM »
theres a good landrover garage in inverness industrial estate beside highland industrial supplies don't know ther name though?

rover51

• rover51
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 09:24:38 PM »
Thanks guys, leaning more and more to go for it myself. Got the full workshop manual so will spend a night having a look through it and find out which Land Rover special tools are required.

Land Rover Special Tools:--

WD40
welder
3 sizes of hammer
grinder
petrol and lighter
I wish I knew more,
But then, don't we all.

piper5

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 09:26:45 PM »
forgot cable ties and gaffer tape ;D ;D
and silicone for the holes :o

aqms987

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 10:12:17 PM »
Hi
 The garage Piper 5 is referring to is Inverness 4x4, Proprietor is Hamish Grant, I have had numerous dealings with him & always found him to be very fair. Phone no is
01463 233303.
 Another option for you is Mike Ogg @ Ogg's Garage Aberlour again a very experienced L/R
 repairer whose prices are very fair  01340 871505, not to be confused with Ogg of Elgin who are a L/R main dealer although I am sure they would welcome you with open arms & main dealer prices.
 I have had work done by Mike which was more than satisfactory & fairly priced.

Regards
 AQMS 987

eenomc

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2010, 01:19:41 AM »
Thanks for the advice on the garages, I'll phone Mike Ogg tomorrow and see what he says. Aberlour is close enough to Fochabers where I stay.

I think I'd be pushing my confidence limits to attempt the head gasket at this point in time and so hopefully will manage to get it done in the coming weeks.

Thanks again for the advice!

1999 Discovery TD5

bertie_bas205

• recce-gear
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2010, 08:59:21 AM »
Hello, not long in the door myself....

I'm not too far away from you, give Jim King a fone on 01467622202, hes in inverurie... A good lad and good to deal with...

Bertie.
Hector, Arthur, Willie n Buggee...... the boys!!

www.recce-gear.co.uk

cedric_r

• Yorkie
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2010, 09:23:26 AM »
Further for you, but I've dealt with:
Greenbank 4x4 in Aberdeen (a bit expensive now that they're very popular)
and
Mann automotive in Laurencekirk (much cheaper and they're good and into LRs)
Cedric

sthrifty

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2010, 07:26:26 PM »
Hi just a welcome and hope you get the motor sorted soon in time to get to a few GRR winter runs,and you can keep Cedric company on the way.

Regards John.

PS you will need some club stickers etc contact me
1995 300 tdi csw 110
series 3 109 2.25p
ex mil 1986 90 s/t 2.5na
88on galv chassis needs rebuild and more
Disco m reg 2l mpi
[/

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2010, 10:00:29 PM »
Up that way myself tonight.... this special edition from the residents lounge, The Old Coach House, Buckie....

G.
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

eenomc

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2010, 09:14:52 PM »
Thanks for all of the numbers of garages etc, the problem I seem to have been getting is finding someone who isn't booked up till mid December!

I've now made a start of the head gasket myself, manifolds all removed just waiting on the timing locking pins and a friend of a friends LR tech who has kindly offered to come and get it all back together once the heads been pressure tested.

Hi just a welcome and hope you get the motor sorted soon in time to get to a few GRR winter runs,and you can keep Cedric company on the way.
Hoping the car should be on the road later on this week, maybe end of next at the latest. Looking forward to getting the car out and about.

Up that way myself tonight.... this special edition from the residents lounge, The Old Coach House, Buckie....

Stayed at the Coach House a couple of times before permanently moving up this way. Not a bad place in the world to be!! enjoy your night...
1999 Discovery TD5