Defender power steering fluid dump

· 4 · 1105

Stoddy

Defender power steering fluid dump
« on: March 03, 2017, 10:32:43 PM »
I'm looking for some advice.  My wife needed to move  my defender today to get a skip in the garden.  Unable to work out the immobiliser the workmen shoved it out the garden as a non runner and when turning the steering it's dumped power steering fluid.  Strangely the fluid level in the reservoir is showing full.  The trail of fluid does seem to suggest that it's come from the reservoir.

I have a couple of questions:

With the reservoir full how do I top up the system and bleed it? 

Thanks

Alan

Buffalo Bill

• Name: Bill Conner
Re: Defender power steering fluid dump
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 09:10:59 AM »
Hi Allan

start the landie up and turn the steering lock to lock a few times then check the reservior again and top up if necessary.

Hope this helps cheers Bill
1989 110
1990 90
1988 90
1972 V8 WOOP WOOP

Stoddy

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 10:17:35 AM »
Thanks Bill.  I"ve done as you suggested and at the same time I slackened the bleed nipple on the steering box and saw fluid coming out of that but with the engine running I couldn't bleed it with the tools I have and the proximity to the fan.  Seems ok though but I'll get it checked out.

Thanks

Alan

Sandy M

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017, 05:54:13 PM »
The power steering system dumping its fluid out the filler cap breather is normal when the steering wheel is turned with the engine off.

Top tip when bleeding the system is NOT to loosely slip a piece of small bore hose over the bleed nipple and place the other end in the reservoir.  Apparently when you start the engine and turn the steering wheel the pressure of the fluid is enough to blow the hose of the steering box and spray the inside of the garage roof  :-[