Comfy sideways facing seats, in a window hardtop?

· 5 · 1397

Graham

Comfy sideways facing seats, in a window hardtop?
« on: September 05, 2015, 08:36:15 PM »
Anyone successfully fitted comfy sideways-facing seats to a window hard-top? I got a pair of fancy Exmoor Trim inward-facing fold-up seats for my birthday but, with them placed in position, the backrests lean against the side window. Obviously they need returned, since I'd rather not smash the side windows everytime I drive over a bump, but I'm not sure what to get instead. My best idea is not-so-snazzy tip-up seats from Exmoor Trim, but they may well have the same problem. Anyone got any suggestions? Whatever I get needs to not interfere with the windows, even with a salad-dodger leaning back in them.

lurch032003

Re: Comfy sideways facing seats, in a window hardtop?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2015, 12:35:10 PM »
Have you tired fitting a rubber bump stop such as fitted to the front seat which is fitted to the bulk head?
I have fold up bench seats in mine which fit into the tub and bolted done onto the tub also but found that one of the fittings needed slightly bent to to push the back of the seat out as was to tight against the tub wall , I done have glass sides fitted but hard sides but don't see how the bench type would interfere with the sides in any way.
HTH

Graham

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 12:32:07 PM »
I reckon having the seats leaning against the glass at all is a really bad plan. The metal bulkhead isn't likely to shatter; glass is.

Graham

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 02:08:07 PM »
I've just spoken to Exmoor Trim (who weren't answering their 'phone over the weekend).They say that the flip-up seats shouldn't have the same problem, since they're smaller, sit further forward, and have a thinner back. So, I'm now pondering whether to get two flip-up seats, keep it original with two new benches, or go for a Tory Blair style Third Way by fitting a flip-up seat on one side and a bench on the other. (I have an LPG tank in there which takes up too much space to fit two individual seats on the same side.) Thanks for the info/advice.

lurch032003

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 12:11:48 PM »
I have a bench seat fitted in one and two ready to be fitted in other if you wish you can come and have a look to see how they fit etc to ensure they will be okay in yours ???
I'm near Bathgate so don't know if that's too far for you as still getting my engine sorted so it's not on the road at mo.
Your most welcome or I can take pics and sizes of it fitted if that helps also just let me know if I can assist you in your decsion .
Cheers
John