Please release me...

· 2 · 1202

mudTerrain

Please release me...
« on: September 03, 2015, 08:47:49 AM »
Hello,

it looks (well...sounds and feels) like  the release/thrust bearing is terminal in my TD5's gearbox.

I've got a couple of different ways of approaching this problem...

OPTION 1:

I could take it to a garage and ask them for a phone-number sized quote to replace it, but before I do, can anybody give me a rough idea of what sort of money I'm looking at?

I've asked a few "knowledgeable" people who suggest its a day and a half job to do, so I reckon I'm looking at about £7-800.00 in labour - does that sound reasonable?

If I get a kit like this and do the clutch at the same time (I see Paddocks also stock a "super heavy duty" clutch - is it REALLY worth an extra £250?!), is there anything else I should replace while the gearbox is out?

OPTION 2:

I wanted to change my bulkhead over the Summer, but other things got in the way...plus I needed the LR to drive about in...so it's still a job yet to be done.  To change the bulkhead, I basically need to take apart the entire front end - how big a job would it then be to hoist the engine out and get at the front of the gearbox that way, instead?  The only problem with this option is I've got nowhere under cover to do it at the moment, so it'd basically put my LR off the road for the foreseeable future :(

Any thoughts/advice would be much appreciated,

piper5

Re: Please release me..
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 09:10:46 PM »
garage did mine in disco complete clutch change for £250 plus clutch