Galvanising

· 7 · 2402

Greigboy

Galvanising
« on: March 31, 2015, 10:56:11 PM »
The winter has taken its toll on my rocksliders and I'm looking at getting them galvanised, I haven't had anything galvy'd before, anyone have an idea of cost and somewhere to do it, I know some places have minimum quantities and price.

I'm not far from Scottish Galvanisers in Glasgow but they are generally closed when I'm passing, and they haven't replied to enquiry emails.

Cheers
1986 Land Rover 90 CSW V8

oilcan

• Name: Raymond Boyd
Re: Galvanising
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 03:14:07 AM »
Have you tried Highland Colour Coaters in Luggiebank. Ive never used them before but pass by there often as its only down the road from me.

Sandy M

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 09:43:29 PM »
I have used Highland Galvanisers in the past, minimum price is £60.00.  I got a 2 day turnaround on the job, which was first class.

Top tip - when dropping off your stuff you will be asked "do you want it express coated?"  (ie within 24 hours)   say no unless you want to pay through the nose!!

Nothing wrong with the express service, but more suited to the 'professional' customer.

Greigboy

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2015, 06:26:08 AM »
Thanks for the replies so far, I got a reply from Scottish Galvanisers, (below)  I was also going to have my light bar done, the combined weight of the sliders and light bar at is 35 kg, they are stripped but could probably do with a quick shot blast to deal with some of the pitting and by the time their shot blasted and galvanised it will be the best part of £200, For which I could buy a new set of sliders that are already galvanised, so it's perhaps uneconomical.

I'll give highland an email and see how we get on.

Good morning Greig

Thanks for the enquiry. We do lots of Land Rover components here at Scottish Galvanizers.

There's two elements to consider;
Firstly, most components will need shotblasted prior to galvanizing to remove existing paint / contamination. This is charged at £50.00 per hour.
The galvanizing element is charged by weight. We have minimum charges in place for total orders of less than 150kg, details below:
1kg to 50kg   :   £83.29
51kg to 100kg   :   £121.71
101kg to 150kg   :   £160.16
All of the above prices are subject to VAT.

For orders of more than 150kg a rate per tonne / per kilogram would apply.
It is much more cost effective to galvanize a larger batch of components than smaller quantities.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Paul Tait
Customer Service Manager
Scottish Galvanizers Ltd.
Tel : 0141 427 3041

Greigboy

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 11:23:31 PM »
Finally got my rock sliders galvanised at Highland colour coatings in Cumbernauld, their rates are roughly half of that quoted by Scottish galvanisers. I got 2 sets of Rock sliders, a spot light bar and a tow bar drop plate done for £90 and that included a bit of shot blasting for one of the sets of sliders, so all in all I was chuffed with that :)

oilcan

• Name: Raymond Boyd
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 03:14:46 PM »
Glad it all worked out

wildwoodflower

• Name: Kathy
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2015, 12:18:39 PM »
That's well worth knowing. I used Scottish Galvanisers for the side frames on my 109. The results were very good - however they were pretty pricey and it is good to know that the Cumbernauld guys do a good job for less.
It seems the best solution is to club together and put in a large multiple order - economy of scale etc.