300 Tdi Coolant Issues

· 5 · 1381

Disco Robbo

• Name: Robbie Lawson
300 Tdi Coolant Issues
« on: April 25, 2015, 04:28:16 PM »
Hi folks, looking for a bit of advice about my 300 tdi Defender. 

I recently fitted a 300 tdi engine from a Discovery to my Defender 110 as the timing belt had shredded and melted on its original engine. I heard the engine running before purchase and all was good.

I have replaced the water pump,thermostat,timing belt kit ,and a new radiatior during the engine install.

The problems I'm having are making me tear what little hair I have left.

It seems to have an issue with bleeding air out of the system. After making sure all levels are topped up I take for a short run of about 10 miles. If I get close to 60 mph the temp starts to head towards the red line but if I slow down then the temp falls back to the middle where it normally sits.

Also when I have come back from the run, water has come out of the expansion tank and the water level is the near the top of the tank when I check the levels in the radiator and thermostat housing they are both really low. Also the pipes to the heater matrix are hot but the heater blows cold!

Any ideas?

Robbie
1987 Ex Mod LR 90
2002 Land Rover Discovery TD5

Dave T

Re: 300 Tdi Coolant Issues
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 07:58:27 PM »
On the defender engine there is a pipe that comes off the thermostat housing, though a y piece to the expansion tank. This y piece can become blocked, I cleared mine by flushing it through.

If both pipes attached to the heater are getting hot then are you sure it's not the flap in the wrong position?
1994 Defender 90
2016 D4 Graphite

Disco Robbo

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 08:09:11 PM »
I have fitted a new pipe with the y peice as I thought that may have been the issue but just my luck it wasn't as easy as that!

What do you mean flap in wrong position?

Cheers

Robbie
1987 Ex Mod LR 90

DRH

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 09:35:23 PM »
Did you transfer the defender temperature sender over or did you just use the one that was already in the Disco engine.  The Disco one is different and reads hot

Duncan

Disco Robbo

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 08:01:31 PM »
Yep, changed the entire housing.

Turns out it was the head gasket as removed the head today and its warped between cylinders 2 and 3.

Thanks for the replies.

Robbie
1987 Ex Mod LR 90