What's the best 4x4 all round

· 4 · 1638

kvz2000

• Name: Donald
What's the best 4x4 all round
« on: June 13, 2015, 09:01:01 PM »
Hi Guys,

I have a fantastic Landrover 90 with all the extras you could want ( winch, 2"lift , huge wheels and tyres, snorkel, lamps, etc etc ) and I've never had any problems , and I also have a lovely old Merc 190d and then my wife has the "good" car.  As I've just retired I feel I would rather sell the landie and merc and replace with a good 4x4 but one that I could use for the odd longer motorway journey as the landrover is best off road , any suggestions , should I go Discovery , Rangerover or dare I say Trooper ?

Prefer something with plenty of room so LWB ,and must be reliable ,

Cheers

Donald

Dave T

Re: What's the best 4x4 all round
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 06:59:47 AM »
D4. Reliability has improved a whole lot over the D3, 8 speed (model year 2012) improves it even more and it is still amazing on and off road. Will take 7 adults with ease and eats motorway mirage with ease. The Range Rover will of course be on a par and indeed better, but you could get a whole lot newer D4 than RR for the same money
1994 Defender 90
2016 D4 Graphite

Greigboy

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 09:19:26 AM »
It really depends on your budget, Trooper's went out of production over 10 years ago, but if that's the kinda age / budget your pitching at then a D4 and RRS are way outside of that.

If reliability and easy of maintenance and running cost is key then a D3 or early L322 Range Rover may not be the best choice.
1986 Land Rover 90 CSW V8

kvz2000

• Name: Donald
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 11:29:49 AM »
Thanks Guys,

Budget wise will depend on what I get for my two vehicles plus a little more , I would think around £5-6k ,
my other option would be to sell the old Merc and spend a bit of money on the Landrover and sort out the excessive play in steering and a few oil leaks . I don't have any history on the Landrover and its got an iveco 2.8 TDI engine which starts and runs fine but very smokey and I really should get timing belt done , need to make a decision one way or the other