Injection Pump Play

· 4 · 1290

soakes94

• Name: Stephen Oakes
Injection Pump Play
« on: March 24, 2015, 11:27:11 PM »
So yesterday I was going to change my timing case front cover due to a failed fan bearing. While I had the front cover off I noticed a load of fluff. First time ever doing it but thought I would change the timing belt. Cant be to hard right? Well it was a little tricky but I got there (Or so I thought) started it up no noises or anything, all seemed fine. Drove it up to temp for maybe 15 minutes along 60mph roads. Stopped had a listen and all sounded good. Drove for another 10/15 minutes and stopped and there as a noise. A metal on metal noise.

Got it home and off came the cover again. Lots of metal dust especially around the Injection pump pulley. Couldn't see anything obvious no marks or anything. Took the belt of and there is play in the pulley not as in clockwise anti-clockwise play but play forward and back (towards the back of the car and then to the front of the car. Not much but enough and it sounds like its hitting the back of the timing case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZItTUMC6L4  - This might help explain all of my rambling up there ^^^

So what does this mean for me? Is it something nice and simple and easy? (I hope so!) or is it a new injection pump (Please No :( I don't have the money) Im working all day tomorrow so won't be able to try anything until then but guessing it will be injection pump of first which I will do when I get home.

The sooner I can get it fixed the better as this is my daily commuter :(

Thanks Stephen :)

piper5

Re: Injection Pump Play
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 07:55:28 AM »
is it just the pulley moving or is the whole pump moving? could you have mixed up some of the bolts holding the timing cover on

soakes94

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 08:02:45 AM »
It's just the pulley. Injection pump is solid on the car. using this mornigs sun I found a sheared bolt lying under the car from the injection pump pully. It was one of the locking bolts. I'm wondering if it's broken half way along my journey. Bounced around the timing case making horrible noises, made all the metal dust on it's travels. Also there are no scoring marks or anything for what I thought was the injection pump pulley hitting of the back of the timing case.

Maybe the play in the injection pump shaft (3 or 4mm) is "normal"?

S

soakes94

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 07:41:46 PM »
So after some discussion on another forum (LR4x4) I have come to conclusion that the pump is no use. There is play in the shaft (in/out play) and as you rotate the pump it pulls the pulley in and then it goes back out as you rotate it around.

So does anyone have a pump lying around spare? I know its very unlikely but its worth a try! Im in West Lothian.

Its a 300tdi from a 1999 Discovery fitted to a 1987 Land Rover 90. It did have an EGR valve but now doesn't. Its the all mechanical one. Does anyone have a part number as well that I can search with.

Thanks
Stephen