Anderson connector jump leads

· 14 · 4908

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
Anderson connector jump leads
« on: December 13, 2014, 09:12:57 PM »
As I've got Volvo seats fitted in the 90 getting at the battery is a bit of a faff, the whole seat needs to get shifted.

The thought was to make jump-starts a bit easier by having a set of Anderson connectors on the seatbox and a matching set of jump-leads.

Not being an electrical guru - what size do I need ?  I see everything from 50 to 350 amps on Ebay...

Thanks.

G.
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

lurch032003

Re: Anderson connector jump leads
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2014, 09:35:00 PM »
Bigger the better as its down to how much currant is drawn from your vehicle which is where the size of the cable comes is not so much the connecter, 150-200 amp connector will be okay but 15mmcable min to cope with jumping most size vehicles I think you will tackle or if yourself needs a jump god forbid .
HTH

Dave T

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2014, 09:55:35 PM »
They would need to be appropriate for your leads, ie don't have 50 amp ones in 400 amp cable or vice versa. Not sure what size mine is but I can check tomorrow for you

I have the plug under the bonnet and the plug has a handle on it for ease of use
1994 Defender 90
2016 D4 Graphite

DRH

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2014, 10:10:19 PM »
Gene

The only thing with the Anderson plug is that you need to have a dedicated set of leads.

I used one of these jumper posts on a Defender I had Disco seats fitted to (see link below).  I've posted the link as it's the only place I've seen this advertised so hope no one thinks I'm advertising.

I ran a cable directly off the starter lead up to the post (which sat on the inner wing) although you could put it through the seat box.  One lead onto the pole the other lead to a good earth.

I also had a battery isolator on the seat box in case anything went wrong and I couldn't get into disconnect the battery quickly

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/wiring-connectors/longacre-battery-jumper-posts

Duncan

genem

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2014, 11:15:45 PM »
Hmmm, another good idea !

Thinking cap on....

G.

aqms987

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2014, 11:46:17 PM »
 I have an "Anderson Plug" fitted in my vehicle located on my rear winch ie inside the vehicle. It has the advantage that I can decline to lend my leads out to others as few people have this facility already fitted on their vehicle. I found out the hard way that people can be quick to borrow but slow to return especially on Rallies where speed of starting again is of the essence. Sometimes the crew are slow to return the leads!
 This meant that that the next time I needed the leads they were long gone.

cenemc

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2014, 11:46:52 PM »
Your starter motor is the highest current draw of any device on the car.
It can be drawing a flash current of over 600 amps on turning your engine over.
(I know electrics is not your area of expertise so bear with me.)

So if you are going to go the Anderson Jack route use the largest. 350 Amp
(better to over engineer than have to put out an electrical fire).

Fit a battery isolator by all means.

But how often do you need to jump start?

Would you not be better working out where to attach your jump leads underneath the bonnet?
Negative connection is easy, any good connection on the engine.
Have a look where your positive battery cable goes, are there any connection points easily accessible for the jump start leads?

If you get stuck then I am happy to help. You know how to get hold of me.

vag_landy

• Name: Greg Leighton
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2014, 09:53:42 PM »
I had a similar idea but I was going to utilise the front winch wiring which has a isolator and connect a 350amp Anderson plug on the winch bumper or on the solenoid box and make jump leads out of 35mm2 cable.
Vw Audi Group
PP Golf GTi
Puma XS 90
Ex MOD 90

aqms987

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2014, 11:45:24 PM »
 Not uncommon for me to be asked for a "jump start" on rallies, my set up means I can reverse up to the casualty, hook on, and start. The other advantage for my usage is that the plug/socket is protected from slush, snow etc being inside the rear of the vehicle as the winch is mounted in-board for use on my crane. Guess it is down to individual needs.

genem

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2014, 12:22:41 AM »
Yep, my main requirement is to be able to jump-start ( to or from my 90) without having to unbolt the seat and remove it, a right faff when in a hurry or in bad weather.

Putting a plug on the seatbox or under the bonnet seems ideal, carrying a set of special jump-leads not an issue.

Seems like a plan...

Thanks all for the advice.

G.

Navigator

• Discovery 4 Causeway
  • Name: Stuart Clink
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2014, 09:42:50 AM »
Whatever size of connector and wire you choose remember that the jump lead wire will have to fit into the recess in the the connector pin!
Navigator          GM1VBE

weetoddy

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2014, 12:05:26 PM »
Older style Ford Transit ( not sure about the new ones) had a positive post on the engine that was connected straight to the starter for jumping , you just connect the earth to the lifting bracket on the engine. You could fit one of these and it would solve the problem . I went for the Anderson connection bolted to the seat box when I fitted recaros and couldn't access the battery and as said no one borrows the leads as they are no good which means you always have them when needed my only down side is you have to put them out the window or have door open .

Cheers Iain
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a broken fan belt and leaky engine

Sandy M

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2014, 12:09:48 AM »
......I went for the Anderson connection bolted to the seat box when I fitted recaros and couldn't access the battery and as said no one borrows the leads as they are no good which means you always have them when needed my only down side is you have to put them out the window or have door open ....

I got mine bolted to front of the seat box. Clever me decided to fit it so that the handle on the connector prevents the door from closing on the cables.  Great idea until you park on a side slope and try to casually hook up without the door flying open and scraping the wing of the dead motor   :-[ !!

Dave T

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2014, 05:30:23 PM »
Mine is under the bonnet, just in front of the washer bottle. Just makes access to other vehicles a lot easier than trying to get a door closeby
1994 Defender 90
2016 D4 Graphite