Discovery door corrosion

· 5 · 1533

bertracoon1616

Discovery door corrosion
« on: November 23, 2014, 01:38:30 PM »
Hey guys

One of the doors on my discovery is starting to corrode quite badly around the wheel arch. Im not usually one for cosmetics but this is looking really ugly. Ironically all the steel work is in good condition, its the aluminium thats the problem.

Does any one know of any tips to stop/treat it or is it just a case of finding another door and having it sprayed?

Was thinking about wire brushing then using a bit of filler powder to give it a smooth surface again before spraying but will it just come back again?

Cheers in advance

Ally
1995 Discovery 3.9 V8

Give it the beans!!

tomb raider

Re: Discovery door corrosion
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 09:47:10 PM »
Get a door what coulee is it

bertracoon1616

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 08:30:23 PM »
Its black, (in my picture)

dont know the exact name or code but ill have a check when i get home.

1995 Discovery 3.9 V8

Give it the beans!!

top drive

• They gave me an MOT - fools
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 11:00:46 AM »
ive been looking into this a bit for my 90 ali

the popular concensus for a reasonably lasting repair (but not perminant)

is - wirewheel - if you have any door left, vinegar soak - if you have any door left , etch primer/sinc chromate , p38 back to surface level then high build primer /paint

annoyingly alot of the time it is either rotten through from inside or galvanic corrosion from being in contact with the steel.

tiger seal/DPC between seems to be another popular route against that.

not 100% on my final route yet but you can look that up while you enjoy Romania.
`87 ninety - full rebuild with 11l 200tdi conversion ,2 inch lift and 13 inch shocks and relevent protection/sliders./ dislocation cones

Goes like a stabbed rat.

top drive

• They gave me an MOT - fools
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 11:01:24 AM »
also - your picture , even when you click on it needs a magnifying glass to work out what car it is never mind the colour :D
`87 ninety - full rebuild with 11l 200tdi conversion ,2 inch lift and 13 inch shocks and relevent protection/sliders./ dislocation cones

Goes like a stabbed rat.