300tdi cambelt

· 4 · 1381

mike66

• Name: Mike Wheeler
300tdi cambelt
« on: July 21, 2014, 11:52:29 PM »
Is there any difference between the Disco and Defender cambelt kits?

I've had a look on various sites but can't work out if they're the same or not!!! I also understand you can get a mod kit which apparently stops the belt from lunching it's self, are they any good?

Cheers Mike

piper5

Re: 300tdi cambelt
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 02:47:18 PM »
belts are the same, you shouldnt have the belt eating problem now your engine would have went bang years ago, but buy the belt kit with relevent pulleys in the kit rather than belt only.

stage recovery

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 06:39:56 PM »
I bought a genuine Landrover belt kit at the start of the 300 TDI problems, the only difference I found in the kit (front case, pulleys, belt, bracket etc) was the small bracket bolting the back of the injection pump to the block now had movable bushes in the fixing holes where the previous one did not. It would appear that machining tolerances could cause the origional bracket  when tightened to pull the front casing out of alignment thus making the belt run against the front edge of the injection pump pulley until you had belt failure. With the new bracket  fitted any misalignment was taken care of by the movable bushes.

mike66

• Name: Mike Wheeler
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 10:52:38 AM »
Cheers guys, thanks for clearing that up for me.