Buying a 300 / TD5

· 4 · 1292

Alex Gibson

Buying a 300 / TD5
« on: August 06, 2014, 09:12:58 PM »
Hi,
We will shortly be buying a L/R 110 possibly a 300 or TD5
Everything we look at in our budget has 100,000 + miles on the clock!
Never haven bought a vehicle with this type of mileage we are a bit apprehensive !!

Is this type of millage ok for a 300/TD5 or will we be buying a big bag of trouble?
(Obviously I need to check for service history/rust etc)
Any body got any thoughts / advice on this?

Alex

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
Re: Buying a 300 / TD5
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 10:50:41 PM »
Of course they have 100k miles on the clock, they are umpteen years old !   You may be lucky and find one with a stamped up service book but its increasingly unlikely as they get older - especially given dealer service prices.  The good news is that anything that goes wrong is replaceable fairly simply. Look for the best one you can and don't be put off by mileage or lack of dealer stamps.
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

BigPaul

• Name: BigP
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 05:20:07 PM »
Rust is your biggest problem.  Take a screw driver and check the chassis, if the seller doesn't want you to do this then ask why.  Engines, if looked after can achieve 250k miles (300tdi).  There's less electronics on a tdi than the Td5 if that makes a difference to you, also, the Td5 can be tuned fairly easily.

Hope this helps.  Just jump in and enjoy ;)

DRH

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 05:49:40 PM »
I can't remember the last time I bought a car with only 5 digits on the mileometer.

There are plenty of guys on the forum who have experience of both, but if you're new to either you'll have to remember that unlike most modern cars, they will need maintained regularly and will need loads of TLC if you want to prevent issues.  As already said look at the underside and bulkhead for rust.