Front anti-roll-bar ball joints

· 4 · 1197

mudTerrain

Front anti-roll-bar ball joints
« on: April 12, 2014, 04:51:51 PM »
Hello,

I'm on the scrounge for advice...

I'm part way through changing the connecting links on my front anti-roll-bar (on a Defender 110 TD5) and have hit a problem.  I've changed the passenger side with no real issues, but now I've started on the drivers side, I've found that there's not enough room between the top bolt of the link and the front diff to get a spanner on the head of the pivot bolt.  There's also not enough room to withdraw the pivot bolt from the ball-joint link, even if I could undo it...

Does anybody know how to get this link off and replace it?  I was going to undo the other side of the anti-roll-bar again and twist it down in the chassis-mount rubbers, but the steering tie-rod's in the way and I don't think there's enough room to swing it up, above the diff...

The bl**dy Haynes manual just says "slacken and remove the nut, then withdraw the pivot bolt..." which is no help at all...mind you, it also goes on about needing a ball-joint separator to remove the link lower shaft from the axle, which is nonsense, as it comes away quite happily once the bolt's undone (or angle-ground off in my case...no surprise there, to be honest).

Anyway, I'm starting to rant now, so if anybody can offer some advice, that would be much appreciated,

python

• its not a landrover if it doesn't leak oil.
Re: Front anti-roll-bar ball joints
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 07:18:13 PM »
Have you tried jacking the 110 up on the chassis to allow the axles to drop. Might give you clearance.
my name, JON
disco 200 tdi,
disco 300 tdi
110 v8
3 x freelanders td4
1965 series 2a 109 crewcab.
series 3 on galvy chassis
disco 200 tdi,
disco 3.9 v8 lpg
disco 3,9. no lpg????

amature radio callsign MM6MIS

stage recovery

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 07:28:11 PM »
 Take off the steering track rod, undo the chassis brackets and the anti roll bar will come down rotating the ball joints so they are easily accessable.

mudTerrain

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 08:13:29 PM »
Thanks for that - I couldn't see any other way of doing it...

What a pain  ::)

Thanks.