Collie Dogs, Boy or Girl?

· 7 · 1940

Mikey

Collie Dogs, Boy or Girl?
« on: March 26, 2014, 10:31:13 PM »
Hi Folks,

I have a choice of Collie pups, but does anyone have an opinion on whether to take the girl or the boy. I'm leaning to the girl, but to be honest they're both really nice.

We have a male cat already, if that makes a difference, and the pups come from a working sheepdog and the pups are around 7 weeks.

I can't take them both (really...), but and thoughts from Collie owners would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mikey.
1985 110 CSW, 300Tdi fitted.
1993 Classic LSE, V8 LPG.

SJF

• Name: Stuart Ford
Re: Collie Dogs, Boy or Girl?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 08:39:33 PM »
Personally I have always had dogs just for the reason there usually bigger than bitches and of course don't go into heat. People say dogs are more aggressive etc but in my opinion that's down to the owner my 2 year old rides my German Shepard like a horse feeds him sits on him and the dog loves it never flashed its teeth never been aggressive in his life best taking the 2 of them lol friends have collies and I find the bitches are always more timid than dogs but they are working dogs friends who have pet collies both male and female both are great pets no issues with them etc

rangerovering

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 09:24:09 PM »
Would have to agree with Stuarts summary, there is very little between them other than personal preference. My uncle works collies and always has preferred bitches, yet some will always have a dog.
Steve

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 10:09:23 PM »
The end result is down to how long you spend with the dog, they will be better the more of the day they spend with you. Collies are damn bright, they need to be doing something or they get bored and into bad habits. Not a breed to lock up all day while you are out at work.

Me, I'd go for a bitch. 

G. 
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

coolcamper55

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 12:38:26 AM »
our collie Molly is 7 now and a very clever and patient girl, despite being terrorised by the spaniel pup. I have a few acquaintances with dogs and most of them are loopy. The bitches are more level headed. You do have the seasonal thing but they can be dressed (ours has not been) but sometimes that leads to weight gain particularly if you don't run them regularly.

No better sight than a collie at full tilt chasing a land rover up a hill. She would win but there again she cut the corners  :D

Tommy

Mikey

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 11:26:23 AM »
Thanks for that folks,

I think the girl wins.....! :)
Mikey.
1985 110 CSW, 300Tdi fitted.
1993 Classic LSE, V8 LPG.

KIERON

• Name: Kieron freyne
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2014, 09:25:37 PM »
Go for the dog,our collie is smarter than most people I know,a happy collie is a working collie,they need to use there brain or they will eat your house( and Landy) also a dog won't burn your grass- a bitch will.
88 bowler
80 tomcat