Chassis number

· 4 · 1700

dalbuie

• Name: David Black
Chassis number
« on: March 06, 2014, 03:31:50 PM »
Hi,

My 1972 Station Wagon was rebuilt in 1984 (according the the wording at the foot of the rear number plate) and I'm in the middle of doing it again.

The chassis has obviously been repaired in the past and I've repaired another few sections this time, after rubbing down the whole thing to bare metal with a twisted wire brush on an angle grinder, not a clean job.

It's now all painted with Bilt Hamber electrox, internals filled with Dynax S50 and a top coat of hammerite silver. While doing all this however I've been unable to find any chassis number (probably welded over or sanded of in 84 when it was rebuilt) and I was thinking it would be good to put it back onto the chassis (for completeness) and wondered if anyone knew what height the numbers/letters should be and the approximate location on a 1972 series 3.

Cheers
Never look into a laser with your remaining eye!

rangerovering

Re: Chassis number
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 07:51:55 PM »
If its like mine the number will have gone when the front dumbirons were replaced. Cant help with size unfortunately
Steve

EuanM

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 07:53:14 PM »
If memory serves me correct, it should be above the RHS front spring hanger, just behind the bumper. Often it has been obliterated by repairs to dumb irons. Legally you should stamp it on replacement chassis but I doubt any one does. Letters are about 3/8" or 8mm. On the ones I've seen they are not in a perfect straight line, the letters are vertical but its squinty on the chassis. 

dalbuie

• Name: David Black
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 09:12:08 PM »
Thanks, just thought I'd try for a bit of 'completeness'  :)

It looks like the front irons have been replaced in the past so that's probably where the numbers went to.

I'll get a set of 8mm punches and give it a go.
Never look into a laser with your remaining eye!