wanted classic diesel (defender) Series 3 or 2

· 6 · 801

bobbyspit

• Name: Bobbyspit
wanted classic diesel (defender) Series 3 or 2
« on: December 28, 2013, 04:41:17 PM »
As it says. Looking for a Classic pre 73 land rover defender diesel.
Must have MOT and runner, I am handy with the spanners so do not mind a rolling project.

Rob 
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 06:13:33 PM by bobbyspit »

Greigboy

Re: wanted classic diesel defender
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 08:40:44 PM »
Pre 73 won't be a defender it will either be a series 3 or 2, Defenders started circa 1985, genuine 70's cars will be leaf sprung, if it's on coil springs then be suspicious.

What you need to watch for is folk selling a pre 73 that they allege is on a range rover chassis, but is actually an 80's or 90's defender masquerading as a pre 73 for tax purposes, these are essentially ringers, ebay is full of them.

That doesn't put some folk off though
1986 Land Rover 90 CSW V8

bobbyspit

• Name: Bobbyspit
Re: wanted classic diesel defender
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 06:12:26 PM »
Thanks for the info. Interesting. I wonder if DVLA or VOSA inspected a car and found this I suspect it would go straight onto a Q plate?

prof-pat-pending

• Name: nick
Re: wanted classic diesel (defender) Series 3 or 2
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 06:24:09 PM »
Thanks for the info. Interesting. I wonder if DVLA or VOSA inspected a car and found this I suspect it would go straight onto a Q plate?

with current regs it would go straight into the crusher  :o

life is but a journey from birth to death - why rush ?
run a series landie and take your time
http://cumbriaclassiclandrovers.createaforum.com/index.php

Greigboy

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 07:18:55 PM »

with current regs it would go straight into the crusher  :o

Yep, suspected stolen or unable to identify it and it will go to the crusher and your insurance won't want to know, leaving you several thousand out of pocket.

It would only be Q plated if you could prove the provenance of the parts used to make the vehicle, which for most won't be possible.
1986 Land Rover 90 CSW V8

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 11:57:25 AM »
Pre 73 you are only looking at the very early Series 3, Series 2 & 2A were produced 1958 to '71. There will be a lot more S3s about and probably cheaper to buy in the first place than a good running S2. 

Is the pre '73 tax-free thing that important ?  Diesel ? - The 2.25 Landrover Diesel has a reputation for being slow !  Or are you looking for something with a later engine transplant - which may bump the Insurance up ?

If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....