Series 3 bonnet catch

· 5 · 3089

mac90

• Name: Alasdair MacDonald
Series 3 bonnet catch
« on: October 22, 2013, 09:42:32 PM »
Im working away on my brothers 1983 series 3 CSW in preperation for its resit MOT on Thursday. It failed on 5 points . Ineffective brakes, winscreen washer providing insufficient water, fuel cap not sealing, trackrod end boot burst and bonnet release catch ineffective.

I think i have everything sorted apart from the bonnet catch.. this is where i need your fount of knowledge ;)

To close the bonnet you push down and it catches no problem. When you operate the lever behind the grille and the bonnet can be lifted straight up. no intermediate latch!

On my 90 when you pull the lever the bonnet jumps up and you have to release the lever at the front grille(intermediate catch).

If i understand correctly this is operating correctly and the series has no intermediate catch. A brand new latch has been fitted and operation remains the same.

Can some one confirm this is the correct operation and explain to me how to tell the MOT inspector he is wrong!!!(in a nicish way)..

Thanks,  Alasdair
Land Rover 90 1989 300tdi (sold)
Range Rover P38  1997 4.6HSE

lurch032003

Re: Series 3 bonnet catch
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 12:58:33 AM »
take along a print out from the manual or the manual showing this is how a landrover of this type is fitted with its bonnet release system so he can see it in black and white and agree yes other motor vehicles have a release cable but landrovers of this type and later do not.
cheers

john

ps i have never had that issure raised by my mot testers on my landy as one of them is a landy owner themselfs which is handy they know the vehicles.

mac90

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 11:32:44 AM »
Thanks John,

The garage it is being taken too is not familiar with older vehicles. If it continues to be an issue he will take it else where. Thank you for the advise and fingers crossed it passes.

Alasdair

shug

• Name: Hugh Kay
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 01:58:33 PM »
hi alisdair
sorry to put the boot in but series bonnets do have an intermediate catch. if you press release catch once it should just pop up about half an inch or so , you then have to hold release catch over to lift bonnet [ a real pain to do with a spare wheel mounted on it] . look inside hole on catch on the landing panel you can see what holds bonnet closed, above the hole should be a hook [which you operate with release catch]this catches on a large washer on bonnet mount which gives you intermediate catch. if you don't have these parts give me a call . 

hope this helps shug...
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 05:16:03 PM by shug »

mac90

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 06:41:00 PM »
got it fixed whey hey ;D

It turned out to be old grease on the bonnet pin/spring assembly, this was slowing down the action of the spring. I took it apart gave it a wee clean and reassembled, a light oil and sorted.... 2minuites it took......ive been working on this part on and off for days  Oh well.

thanks for you help.

Shug i owe you a drink after the phone call.

Alasdair