300tdi defender rear crank oil seal - Help

· 5 · 2833

lreay

300tdi defender rear crank oil seal - Help
« on: September 08, 2013, 06:53:31 PM »
After finally getting around to replacing my rear crank oil seal on my defender, it still leaks  :'( :'(

What did I do wrong? only things I think a may have done wrong are.

1) I used sealant rather than a gasket behind the housing, although I've read people often do this.
2) Having now been Googling looks like I should not have wiped oil onto the crank prior to fitting the seal, as it will cause it to leak, is this true?

Any hints or tips for making sure it doesn't leak again would be good.

Cheers
Luke
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 09:03:36 PM by lreay »

Scott110

Re: 300tdi defender rear crank oil seal - Help
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 10:50:09 PM »
Had this problem befor. In the end i just got another  OE seal and OE gasket but have heard RTV sealant works fine.
Things i do know is the white plastic part inside the seal should not be removed befor fitting as you use it to guide the seal on otherwise the seal lip does not sit right. I used a small amount of greece on the crank prior to fitting the seal.
Double check its not a leak from somewhere else making its way downwards. Small engine core plug sits at the back near the cyclinder head they can leak.
Sorry dont know what else to advice you will know as you have done it should be straight forward job but being landy does not always work. Bloody frustrating.
1988 Defender 110 300tdi. Bit of an animal.
1998 Defender 90 300tdi. The new pup.

lift man

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 04:22:24 PM »
Make sure it is definatley  leaking before you strip it out again,i fitted one and noticed oil coming down at the bottom of bellhousing.
i dreaded taking it all out again,
i took a gamble that it might be the rear of the sump so one hours work and £5 for sealant was what i tried.
It worked ,,
If a hammer wont fix it,then its electrical

lreay

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 09:01:05 PM »
Thanks guys, unfortunately definitely looks like the rear seal. New seal and gasket should arrive tomorrow, so hopefully if it doesn't rain I'll give it another try tomorrow evening.

Cheers
Luke

lreay

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 05:29:05 PM »
I refitted the seal, dry as highlighted in bold in the later 300tdi engine overhaul workshop manual and it all appears to be working.

Cheers
Luke