Slow to start

· 8 · 1967

kvz2000

• Name: Donald
Slow to start
« on: September 22, 2013, 11:41:37 PM »
Hi All,

My 1989 landrover 90 with 200tdi starts and runs lovely most of the time , I have had a new alternator fitted and battery in the recent past, it always starts fine from cold even after sitting for a week ( has battery cut -off switch ) but occasional and again today after driving for about 30 mins I stopped for diesel but when I went to start it was as if battery was flat and turned over very slowly and would not start but eventually it did start, for rest of the day driving and stopping it started as usual, so what is causing this wee problem.

I am thinking a bad connection , perhaps at starter but really not sure, strange that it never does it when cold,

any advice welcome,

Chees

Donald

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
Re: Slow to start
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 12:12:07 AM »
I'm having a similar issue with my Lwt. Like you I suspect a bad earth. Thought I'd fixed it as the actual battery had a loose connection ( Doh !) but no...  Next step will be to run a new engine-chassis earth strap unless anyone has any better ideas ?
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

Dave T

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 07:13:30 AM »
I had the same and checked right through the earth leads which were ok. Turned out the Starter motor cog (the one that flies out to engage the flywheel I forget the name) was sticky, a good clean and some lub and it has been a lot better.
1994 Defender 90
2016 D4 Graphite

prof-pat-pending

• Name: nick
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 07:38:54 AM »
I had the same and checked right through the earth leads which were ok. Turned out the Starter motor cog (the one that flies out to engage the flywheel I forget the name) was sticky, a good clean and some lub and it has been a lot better.

agree with that ^^^^

drop the starter and spray with plenty of good quality PTFE or white grease - works a treat  8)
life is but a journey from birth to death - why rush ?
run a series landie and take your time
http://cumbriaclassiclandrovers.createaforum.com/index.php

kvz2000

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 02:15:03 PM »
Thanks Guys,

Is the starter easy to get a from underneath I suppose, not easy from top, when out today and looking from below at the passenger side behind front wheel I noticed a light weight earth wire that was attached to chassis but not connected other end , its only about a foot long and has a round connector n the end , for a bolt to go through, not sure if when fitting this engine they fitted another earth strap but I dont think it can do any harm to connect this one ????

donald.

stage recovery

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 07:10:36 PM »
I would replace any of the flat multi braid type of earth wire with new ones made from 50mm welding cable, to check get someone to turn the starter while you wiggle the braided earth from underneath,lots of sparks will show if there is a  problem!

kvz2000

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 10:15:44 AM »
Cant find any earth straps !!!!! need to look again, where should they be located and if there are none would the vehicle start and run so well ?????

cheers

Donald.

piper5

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 08:53:09 PM »
the standard one goes from the transfer box to the chassis, i had issues with the earths on mine i fitted
engine to chassis
transfer to chassis
and transfer to seatbox to battery. problem solved if a bit overkill , mine was starting ok but melting handbrake cables