Disco 1 handbrake problem

· 6 · 1484

janderson41

Disco 1 handbrake problem
« on: September 08, 2013, 07:48:15 PM »
trying my best to explain/
Discovery 1.  Took the console out today to get at the transfer lever for lubrication. The lever is stuck in high. Now I know whats next, lack od use, well no, not really. Do use it from time to time to keep it working.
ANyway, stuck in high. WD40 ,spray grease etc , nothing will free it so console out for better access. Managed to get lub down from top of transfer box and will see what happens.
NOW THE PROBLEM
on re assembly I cannot get the handbrake cable to fit the handle. The rod for the ratchet is in the way and I cannot get it moved. it does move on the button ok but blocks the clevis hole. Have I done something silly and can anybody help.
apologies for the long explanation

Jim a
------
1996 300 Tdi auto(jap reimport)
Jim A
2002 Disco 2 Td5 auto
1996 Disco 1 300Tdi auto (gone)

lurch032003

Re: Disco 1 handbrake problem
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 10:19:20 PM »
Did you slacken off at the rear? As the slack will be tacked up try pushing the foot brake on giving the extra flex needed to attach or disconnect other end and do opposite way round ie connect the handbrake end then the rear end and readjust as nessary hope that makes sense and works

lift man

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 04:58:13 PM »
Footbrake has nothing to do with the handbrake on a Discovery One. :(
If a hammer wont fix it,then its electrical

mikes lr

• Name: michael sherwood
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 06:15:45 PM »
hand brake in the opff position get a pair of long nose pliers grip the cable slide up to position fit the pin through attach clip and your done .
has the clip come of the plastic adjuster that holds the cable in position at top of tunnel

janderson41

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 10:16:57 PM »
Partly solved.... thepawl had reversed or turned over when i took out the console.
Anyway,removed console again,pulled lever as far back as possible and pushed the pawl back into position.
Now button sticks but this is possible thr rod has abend in it.
Thats tomorrows job.
Don,t we love landrovers.
Thanks for the replies people

Jim A
Jim A
2002 Disco 2 Td5 auto

janderson41

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 06:33:54 PM »
UPDATE.  Used one of SWMBO's skewers and put a bend onto it to make a small hook.
Pulled rod inside handle and now handbrake works partly. Have to move pawl with screwdriver which allows brake to hold. when I release brake button still sticks in but when I release handle and bang it down the button does release. Still working on it

cheers

Jim A.
Jim A
2002 Disco 2 Td5 auto