Fuse 8 (speedo, indicators) on 1999 Defender TD5 keeps blowing

· 6 · 2284

stanlee

• Name: Dave Low
Hi - plea for help please...

1999 110 TD5 station wagon. The 10A fuse in position 8 (indicators, speedo, fuel guage) blew a few weeks ago. Changed it and it has been OK, then last night it went again. Changed it and it went immediately, so clearly something isn't right.

I've checked that there isn't water in the indicators or lights, so someone at work mentioned it could be a grounding issue or some loose connection. The problem is I don't know where to start looking.

Used old school hand signals to get home last night, though not sure if any other road users recognised them!

Thanks

mac

Re: Fuse 8 (speedo, indicators) on 1999 Defender TD5 keeps blowing
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 11:23:25 PM »
Did it blow of it's own accord?  I would concentrate on the indicator switch regardless.  Try disconnecting the indicator stalk and replacing fuse again?

stanlee

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 10:19:54 AM »
Thanks - I'll need to get hold of a few more fuses to check this out. I think the last time it blew was before I tried to use the indicator. I'm going to look at the earth straps first.

stage recovery

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 04:41:03 PM »
I have had 2 instances of the wiring loom on the nearside,where it goes from the bulkhead to behind the inner wing,chaffing through the wrapping and wire insulation causing intermittent fuse blowing,one motor was the  sidelights, the other the indicator.

stanlee

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2013, 05:35:43 PM »
This afternoon, I had a root around and earth straps look OK. With fuse 8 out (I've run out of 10A fuses!) I tried the hazards and they worked OK but worked a bit erratically. Then fuse 7 in the secondary fuse box under the driver seat went - it's 20A and supposedly controls interior light, hazards and radio. Is it worth switching out the flasher relay unit? From a bit of forum surfing, it sounds like lots of people have had indicator issues on Defenders and the flasher relay or the hazard switch itself can be the culprit.

Does anyone know which relay in the attached picture is the flasher unit?

Thanks

[attachment deleted by admin]

ruaritreble

• ruariboy
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 11:26:34 AM »
I had a few problems recently 1. being the same fuse blowing. 2. Fog light flashing with indicators. 3. Temp sender showing as too cool until you stop and apply handbrake.

I checked, cleaned etc the rear electrical loom. Turned out I had an identical fault in my  trailer board on both trailers and I also ran a new earth in from the ECU. NO further electrical problems.

may be of help to you
Karis 110 - The perfect way to get a MTB to the top of the hill.
Power to the pedal!

Myrtle Air Portable - V8
------------------------
MM6IIO
------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/ruariboy

http://s826.photobucket.com/home/ruariboy