Upgrade ?

· 2 · 1282

Dunc

• Name: Duncan Thomson
Upgrade ?
« on: July 24, 2013, 04:45:39 PM »
 :)  Hi ,I'm looking for a bit of info. I have a 2001 2.5 diesel P38 , I would like to be fit some heavier duty bits "n" bobs i.e. hd steering rods and track rod ends , diff guards , sump guard and steering damper.. As with the RRC which was compatible with parts with the Discovery 1 , I have noticed that lots of P38 parts are also the same as Discovery 2 parts ..I would like to use the car on Tyro's and possibly some RTV events. Can anybody offer some advice.. please .       Thanks Duncan
If a hammer won't fix it, get a bigger hammer !!

Pilot Custard

• Name: Ian Stuart
Re: Upgrade ?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 11:26:28 AM »
First-off.... you shouldn't need any of this for a tyro: tyro's are non-damaging, with loads of rules about slopes and sizes of lumps & stuff.

If you want to get stuff anyway, then some thoughts based on many many years of LR ownership (and competitions)

On the "Heavy Duty steering rods" - get an HD track rod (the one that runs between the axles), but leave the drag link (from steering box to swivel) as standard: you need a weak link *somewhere*, and I'd rather drive home with the steering wheel 90 degrees out, rather than the wheels splayed out or toed in... or even with something else mechanical actually broken.

Steering guards are good.... but you're probably better getting a diff-guard first. You can get a diff cover or an axle-guard: I found the axle-guard actually got me more stuck that not having nothing.

I also have a tank guard... one that takes removable drop-plates: this means that most of the time I don't have that plough sitting on the back of he car, and I've also less concerns about the back end landing on a fock (the rear wings are still exposed, but they are more protected.