3.5 V8 carb - Megajolt or mallory dual point dizzy?

· 8 · 1803

Malc

3.5 V8 carb - Megajolt or mallory dual point dizzy?
« on: July 24, 2013, 06:19:42 PM »
As the title really - I run lpg on my 90. I want to make it smoother and it seems to be underpowered. (my 300 disco is faster) It already has a weber 4-barrel carb and offenhauser 360 intake manifold.

Has anyone installed megajolt using ford edis wheel?
RPI website recommends Mallory dual point dizzy to get extra advance for running lpg - sounds old fashioned to me - would it not be easier to get an lpg map for the megajolt?

opinions please?  8) 8)
Disco 300tdi
Defender 90 V8

rangerovering

Re: 3.5 V8 carb - Megajolt or mallory dual point dizzy?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 10:54:32 PM »
Stick with the lucas electronic dizzy with a working vac advance and timed up properly. quality igntion parts from simonbbc and a bosch coil.
The cam, followers and chain are more likely to be the problem than a dizzy unless already changed.

The 500 weber is really too big for a 3.5 v8, getting it to run correctly is tricky. My own 3.5 is turning 200bhp still on strombergs!

Mallorys are pointless (geddit!) without electronic ignition, you are quite right it is a step backwards
Steve

Malc

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 07:55:06 PM »
Righto. First step is to check everything that is currently fitted is working properly then. I know I have the 35DLM8 dizzy - what do I need to check vac and set the timing properly?

Can the cam, followers and chain be checked without removing engine? I've done a compression test of this engine with really good results so I guess the bottom end (pistons etc) are good. I reckon a previous owner has had the engine in bits before. 

Best way of setting up my carb? - I know it's a weber (it says on it) but is it a 500?

Disco 300tdi
Defender 90 V8

KonZektt

• Name: Graeme Sherman
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 08:43:14 PM »
are you sure it is a 4 barrel from the pics it looks like a twin barrel
regards kz

Malc

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2013, 01:38:03 PM »
Could be kz I don't know much about carbs. would this mean its more suitable for this engine?
Disco 300tdi
Defender 90 V8

ffourphantomfixer

• Name: Andrew Forrest
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 04:09:07 PM »
Cam can be checked (and removed ) without taking the engine out.
Remove the inlet manifold and valley gasket and you will see the cam lobes in the valley, turn the engine over by hand and look for lobes that are worn away.
She said at my age I need something else to play with

Malc

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 07:53:41 PM »
thanks F4.

I need to change the valley gasket anyway as it is leaking at the back so two birds one stone.
Disco 300tdi
Defender 90 V8

anderss42

• Stuart Anderson
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2013, 09:05:02 PM »
I'm using megasquirt for fuel and sparks with the EDIS 8 and ford coil packs. It has made a big difference to the car, starts first time cold or hot and power delivery is much smoother. In addition it has also made it much more reliable when it comes to water. Previously it used to misfire even in heavy rain, can run submerged now if the air filter was higher. If you decide to go this route give me a shout and I can give you a few pointers.

Stu