Tagged roll cage and ccv help

· 8 · 2284

dickc

• SLROC member
  • Name: Dick Carter
Tagged roll cage and ccv help
« on: May 18, 2013, 11:14:52 AM »
Hello all,

Looking for guidance on building ccv 90".... can anyone point me in the direction of a (cheap??) tagged rollcage for truck cab?  Also if anyone can help on build spec/scrutineer issues etc.  It's going to have 4.2 V8 engine and auto box ex RR classic and RR axles etc, 2" lift (is that right?)
Any help much appreciated.

dickc (just starting....!)

stage recovery

Re: Tagged roll cage and ccv help
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 09:19:37 PM »
Hi Dick, having not long since got my 90 truck cab logbooked, here goes! Have a copy of the ALRC handbook,the roll cage must be to the spec given,one made a few years ago may no longer comply,the log book process is for the whole vehicle, not just the cage so all dimensions etc have to be as a standard 90, other items required are a 2lt AFF fire extinguisher and an electrical cut off switch. To count for points in the SLROC championship no wheel spacers or dislocation cones, no locking diffs, radius arms may not be modified(castor corrected)If you want to get a look at my motor I will be at the Bathgate driving day.

Malc

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 03:15:51 PM »
I get why no spacers, no locking diffs, no mods to radius arms, but why are dislocations cones not allowed? Surely its much safer for going home to have your springs located correctly before driving on the road and they don't give any advantage that I can see - no extra grip or ground clearance etc??  ???
Disco 300tdi
Defender 90 V8

Sooty

• been there winched that
  • Name: mike robertson
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 05:20:15 PM »
with dislocating suspension you gain an advantage purely from the extra articulation thats available, its only when you start to dislocate that you need the cones to relocate the springs
Started out with nothing,
Still have most of it left

dickc

• SLROC member
  • Name: Dick Carter
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 11:18:11 AM »
Thanks Stage Recovery - I can make it to Bathgate early afternoon, and would appreciate getting to see your 90 and discuss it! Can you let me know your reg no. etc so I can find you?
Thanks, Dick

Malc

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 08:14:36 PM »
I've seen standard suspension rear springs pop out - only safe way to drive home to fit re-location cones? Add this to the "why didn't land rover design them with these in the first place" list.
What about extra articulation you get from a 2" lift?
Disco 300tdi
Defender 90 V8

bobby

• www.gemm4x4.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 07:46:13 AM »
So reading this if ur spring popped out you'd would bony jack the car up and put it back in !!!
And if you look at some of the rtv cars u will see a small hose clip holding the top of the spring in place
We drive the landrovers, we brake the landrovers, I fix the landrovers. GEMM 4X4 LTD workshop@gemm4x4.co.uk,, slrocchairman at gmail.com

Malc

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 08:57:02 PM »
My point is that springs dislocate whether you have cones or not. They are used only to guide the spring back into position. So I don't get the rule banning them.  ???

For things to be fair, a requirement to fit hose clips to prevent the extra articulation gained would seem more logical?
Disco 300tdi
Defender 90 V8