Series 3 LWB SW window locks

· 5 · 1096

dalbuie

• Name: David Black
Series 3 LWB SW window locks
« on: May 12, 2013, 10:19:17 PM »
Hi,

I'm rebuilding a 1971 series 3 LWB SW and am trying to make it as original as I can (with the exception of the V8) and am wondering about the window locks. When I look into door tops (I may need a couple) the series 3 has a square hole below the window for a plastic window lock and a series 2/2A has the 2 screw holes above the window for the aluminium push/turn button.

My SW (which looks pretty original) has the aluminium push/turn buttons on all windows (including those in the very back) but it also has the square cut outs for the plastic window locks but these all have plastic covers on them.

What do you think it did have when it came out of the factory?

Thanks
D
Never look into a laser with your remaining eye!

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
Re: Series 3 LWB SW window locks
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 11:43:42 PM »
Interesting... I have a window top with the plastic cover and no lock at all, also on an S3. Were window locks an "optional extra" I wonder ?
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

Jack

• Name: Jack Griffiths
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 10:11:28 AM »
Both types of lock appear in both the parts catalogue and the optional equipment catalogue from '88 so I think it's anyones guess! My stage one just has the plastic window locks.
1981 SIII 109 'Stage One' V8
1973 Range Rover project.

NIJ

• Name: Nigel Kelly
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 03:39:40 PM »
My guess is that the plastic ones would have replaced the metal ones on the production line.  LR used old or whatever parts were handy just to keep production moving at times.  1971 is very early for an SIII so you'll probably be quite OK with either type.  My preference would be for the metal type, but I require plastic ones.
Nigel

dalbuie

• Name: David Black
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 06:29:41 PM »
Thanks all,

Since the metal locks are in the majority as it currently stands - and I like them - I think I'll make these the standard on it :-)
Never look into a laser with your remaining eye!