Low Box Selector - R380

· 9 · 1457

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
Low Box Selector - R380
« on: April 20, 2013, 04:01:27 PM »
I've just had a reconditioned gearbox fitted. Nice and quiet......but when I went to use low box this morning I could not select it.  So... I've taken the rubber boots off and find that I can get to low/diff lock but its absolutely in the "Top left" corner of the "disassembled" top and if I re-assemble the rubber boot - and in particular the large distance piece involved, then I can't get it to engage anymore. The distance piece has a smaller central hole than the space the selector is flapping about in. The pic below, with the gear selected and the distance piece laid in on top may make it a bit clearer.

Thoughts and suggestions - I'd prefer to fix it at home rather than waste time taking it back to the installers, if its a simple fix ....

( ...and chucking away the distance piece would solve the problem short term !)

R380 in a 90 BTW.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 04:08:37 PM by genem »
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

rangerovering

Re: Low Box Selector - R380
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 04:30:50 PM »
Cant see much from the picture, but start by checking all the linkages and splines have been put back in the correct orientation to ensure proper engagement. You might not be quite getting the required lever movement with the gaitor on to change the gears fully.
Steve

genem

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 04:45:35 PM »
Thanks Steve, I don't think its the gaiter that's the problem, its that bit of metal I've left lying against the selector lever that seems to be the problem. With that our of the equation everything selects nicely - but not when the bit is back in place - can't get far enough "up and left".

mel

• Name: Patrick McInally
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 05:05:41 PM »
Hi does the plate/spacer only fit on the one way as could have the hole offset only a suggestion as not all the plate shown in picture.

python

• its not a landrover if it doesn't leak oil.
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 05:29:15 PM »
Plates not upside down possibly?
my name, JON
disco 200 tdi,
disco 300 tdi
110 v8
3 x freelanders td4
1965 series 2a 109 crewcab.
series 3 on galvy chassis
disco 200 tdi,
disco 3.9 v8 lpg
disco 3,9. no lpg????

amature radio callsign MM6MIS

DRH

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 05:31:19 PM »
Gene

It looks to me as though the lever is needing to go too far across.  I've got a Disco box lying on the floor in the workshop if you want to pop round and compare how it should look.  Not in till Tues though although if you want to go in before then, I'll leave word you're coming.

Duncan

piper5

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2013, 09:23:27 PM »
gene i had a similar issue recently after changing the transfer box, i could get high and neutral but no lowbox, it turn out the splined ring on the side of that housing was put back on the wrong orientation, first i tried moving it back and forth one spline but that gave me low/ neutral but now high then.
have a look at a picture in the haynes manual and check it looks the same, the linkage can be on the wrong way if that makes sense

genem

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2013, 11:01:18 PM »
Back to the garage then, I'm not stripping it down any further when I've a 4 figure invoice for the work completed last week !

For now I've just re-fitted it without that bit on the top, so it works but its obviously not meant to need that degree of movement.

piper5

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2013, 09:34:52 AM »
itake it you just had the gearbox changed and not the transfer box too?
another thing i came across was the high/ low lever on the transfer box being in the wrong location, i never managed to fix i that just changed the top housing over for the old one with the lever inside it.
i presume i fitted a transfer from a lt77 to a  R380 box or the box came from a model, it was an ebay job looking for the right ratio.