Defender Doors

· 5 · 1154

Tommy B

Defender Doors
« on: February 24, 2013, 09:20:19 PM »
Quick question - I need to replace the front doors on my Defender 90 (TD5).  Would doors from a Series fit - I like the style of the older flush door handles. 

Cheers, Tom.
Never Apologise - Never Explain                     (Sorry, I should say I read that in a book somewhere!!)

allyipod

• Name: Ally Conlon
Re: Defender Doors
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 09:27:09 PM »
Yes they do fit. but you will need to change the keepers.
mm0pod

Tommy B

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 10:03:54 PM »
Cheers Ali.  By 'keepers', do you mean the striker plate?
Never Apologise - Never Explain                     (Sorry, I should say I read that in a book somewhere!!)

ruaritreble

• ruariboy
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 10:16:23 PM »
Yes you can.

You can use either the standard series locks ( like the yale latch) or the antiburst lock which is what is on your back door. Antiburst is better as the door won't spring open as you go over bumps.
The difficulty is the door handles on series doors are slightly lower so they wont line up with your strikers. So you need to re-drill the striker lower and elongate the holes so you get the adjustment.

You need to; get the series door restraints to stop them swinging too far forward. Modify a latch so it strikes the switch for interior light. Create a seal for bottom of the door. If you get the military door tops, the frames won't rot.

Works for me.
Ruari
Karis 110 - The perfect way to get a MTB to the top of the hill.
Power to the pedal!

Myrtle Air Portable - V8
------------------------
MM6IIO
------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/ruariboy

http://s826.photobucket.com/home/ruariboy

Tommy B

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 10:30:43 PM »
Sounds like the way forward - thanks for the info..