disco 2 ace and clunk

· 7 · 1720

graeme1mckay

• Name: graeme mckay
disco 2 ace and clunk
« on: February 13, 2013, 04:56:55 PM »
51 plate disco clunks when i pull away. Auto gear box or drive shafts? Also the ace light was red and bleeping, i parked up for a few days and it was fine until today. The ace light is amber. Im sure ive read of people disconnecting the ace. Wont this make the car wobblier than it already is? how would i do this? Is it easy to do for a novice mechanic

agmech 53

• Name: Jim Wilson
Re: disco 2 ace and clunk
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 08:16:20 PM »
Where does the clunk sound like it's coming from? Gearbox, front, back, side? Could be a propshaft UJ, or a drive shaft, or the Watts linkage on the rear axle maybe? We had that on ours but it only manifested itself when going over rough bumps, but your issue sounds different.

Have you checked the fluid level in the ACE resvoir just in case it's a wee bit low? I'd check that before deciding on removal. But if you do opt for removal it's not a major operation. Our ACE pump gave up the ghost so I decided to remove it. LR supply a pully that replaces the pump, which is pretty easy to remove, easliy accessed it's at the front right at the top of the engine at the front of the engine bay. Just a case of replacing it with the pully and fitting a new serpentine belt as I think it's slightly differnt size than the one that runs with the pump. The new belt came with the pully. The next thing to do is drain the resevoir and pinch off the pipes to the pump, but be careful to leave the resevoir in place as it is split in two and the right hand side is the power steering fluid resevoir.

I think the ACE locks itself out when the system fails, although I'm sure someone will be able to clarify, after I removed the ACE pump the wee orange light stayed Illuminated on the dash, took it to LR and the did the diagnostic clearing thing, which told the car the ACE had been removed, which stopped the hugely irritating bing, bign, bign for about 30 seconds, and the wee orange light was off, never to return. And the car passed 3 MOT's with the ACE removed, so that's not and issue.  The handling didn't seem to be affected, felt much the same as before.

Where abouts are you located, if you're not a million miles away I'd happily come give you a hand if you're not sure of anything, I'm down in the Borders
hope this helps,

Jim
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 08:35:20 PM by agmech 53 »

boghog

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 08:29:37 PM »
If you want to keep the ACE which I think is worth the effort, have a look at the connector on the pressure sensor located on the ACE block below the driver's side sill. Mine did this after I was a bit keen with the pressure-washer. Cleaned and dried the connector and no bother since (at least 6 months ago). Never ceases to amaze that the put such thing in the way of harm on an offroad vehicle.

Regards.

The Classic Man

• Name: Robin Watt
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 09:39:27 PM »
I had my ACE pump removed and have had no problems with stability. Has a made a big difference in fuel consumption, much better.   
The Classic Man
Heros & RNLI member

mikes lr

• Name: michael sherwood
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 07:11:36 PM »
I had my ACE pump removed and have had no problems with stability. Has a made a big difference in fuel consumption, much better.
mine has ace and i get 600 miles out of a tank full. graeme if you want the codes read bring it over falkirk direction i can stick it on hawkeye for u

graeme1mckay

• Name: graeme mckay
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 09:03:15 PM »
The clunk is from the front and i dont want to spend to much money on the ace as im pmanning to keep this car and slowly modify it for playing if the boss lets me get another car to get me about. If it an easy repair ill try but im not going to replace pumps and stuff. Mike where are you and when is convienient as i work in gmouth

Mike

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 08:58:25 AM »
De-ACE your car. Will save you a lot of money and hassle in the long run. I have a Nanocom Evo which can disable the ACE system if you need it done  ;)