Is the starter motor on its way out?

· 9 · 2434

corbett891

Is the starter motor on its way out?
« on: January 20, 2013, 09:59:35 PM »
Hi all,

TD5 defender 52 plate.

On occasions when I go to start her I get a screeching noise as I turn the key to start and nothing else.

If I then stop, then retry she will start as normal.

Is this a sign that the starter motor is on its way out?

If so do I have to replace the whole motor or just buy the repar kit of ebay for the contacts?

Is it an easy job to replace the motor / contacts?

I have in the distant past replaced 300 TDI starter motors which were reasonably straight forward

The Haynes manual seem to indicate that it would be a reasonably easy job to do.

Thanks in advance,

John

piper5

Re: Is the starter motor on its way out?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 07:47:28 AM »
sounds like the starter is knackered, they are not too bad to change if you have a decent socket set with different lengths of extensions, if i remember right one of the three nuts its is a different size.  also check theres no fuel leaking into it, on mine the pressure regulator was leaking into the starter and killed it

ruaritreble

• ruariboy
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 04:24:46 PM »
A common problem is the solenoid contact  burn out, but this sympton is the engine only starts otherwise yoiu just get a click.

If you are removing the starter motor, the bottom 2 mounting bolts are a smaller size to the top. Which is a nut so when refitting the starter you got a stub to hang it onto and then line up the bolt holes. Fiddly to get the top nut,  a couple of extensions wit a universal joint did the job. Apart from that easy to take off and change starter contacts,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Full-Denso-Starter-Solenoid-Contact-Repair-Kit-Landrover-Defender-Discovery-TD5-/160955610380?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2579b3b50c

Karis 110 - The perfect way to get a MTB to the top of the hill.
Power to the pedal!

Myrtle Air Portable - V8
------------------------
MM6IIO
------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/ruariboy

http://s826.photobucket.com/home/ruariboy

shug

• Name: Hugh Kay
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 03:48:37 PM »
the screeching noise is usualy caused by the teeth on the starter not engaging the teeth on the flywheel ring gear . if you take the starter motor out for repair, look inside the gearbox and check the ring gear on outside of flywheel. remember to turn crank with a spanner to look all the way round flywheel, the engine wont always stop in the same position that might be why it works ok sometimes, if its knackered you will see it . just somthing else worth a check :o
hope this helps shug...

corbett891

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 01:13:36 AM »
Hi Shug,

What u say seems to make sense to me.

If that was the case, do u think best leaving it until it finally gets to bad, then take the hit and go for the clutch, flywheel and spigot bearing change?

Many thanks,

John

piper5

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 07:41:58 AM »
on mine it was just the starter, if it was me i would change it before you knacker the flywheel, why risk the clutch and flywheel at £ 600 ish or worse the ring gear break and flys around in the bellhousing

shug

• Name: Hugh Kay
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 11:28:11 AM »
i would agree with piper5 better to look at it now, you might get it before flywheel ring gear is knackered. that and it will die when you need it most and dont have time to fix it.  shug...

corbett891

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 02:06:01 PM »
Hi guys,

Yes I think your right, I will try and get it done next month.

Seems quiet a few options of starter mothers on ebay, any preferences?

Many thanks,

John

corbett891

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2013, 07:13:53 PM »
I think I will, try and do everything at the same time, clutch and starter motor, as the motor will I believe have to come off when I do the clutch :-)