Longer term look at the market

· 3 · 1447

DRH

Longer term look at the market
« on: December 08, 2012, 01:03:08 AM »
Since early this year I've been looking for some kind of Landy for the charity that I work for to recover buses and ferry staff around so have been keeping an eye on whats been for sale at a reasonable price.  Some might read "reasonable" for me being tight - spot on

Since 2010, prices have remained higher than they were pre 2010 when you could pick up M Reg Disco's sub £600, Defenders were always more and Freelanders went for anything from £500 upwards.

Since 2010 the cheapest you can realistically pick up a roadworthy 300tdi Disco's seems to be £1000 upwards, Defenders seem to be min £2k and Freelanders £6-800 upwards

But it's been interesting to see that with the inclement weather this week there's been a load of as yet unseen Landies on the road, but the really interesting thing is that if you do a trawl of the web, most of the Landies advertised last week before the snow came are still there.  Does this mean that there's been a load of motors bought and stored during the year, or a a sudden rush of motors from down south

Another thought is are people being more selective about what they're buying and not prepared to spend their hard earned cash on over priced bargain basement motors but are prepared to pay way more for higher spec motors.

It's getting harder to read the market

Just a few passing thoughts

top drive

• They gave me an MOT - fools
Re: Longer term look at the market
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 11:24:58 AM »
Funny you should mention it , i was thinking the same......

Ive just re-entered the market looking for a family discovery after our golf blew its engine ( waterpump failure)

Late 300tdi or early td5 and even now that the snows hit the prices still seem similar to what they were before at the 3-5k market ....

Where as the cheap stuff around 1k is still going asap locally. 

I even had someone trying to buy my discovery donor car off the back drive for a farm hack .... Till i pointed out it might be a bit light at the front end and will need alot of pushing.
`87 ninety - full rebuild with 11l 200tdi conversion ,2 inch lift and 13 inch shocks and relevent protection/sliders./ dislocation cones

Goes like a stabbed rat.

bertracoon1616

Re: Longer term look at the market
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 02:38:30 PM »
If the snow gets really bad im still tempted to stick my disco on gumtree for 6K and see if some desperate oil executive just forks out for it. Then buy it back for the 1800 its worth when things are back to normal! Cant see it happening but would be ace if i pulled it off!
1995 Discovery 3.9 V8

Give it the beans!!