I'll just ring Recovery....

· 11 · 2181

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
I'll just ring Recovery....
« on: December 09, 2012, 08:43:58 PM »
A cautionary tale for those of us with older motors... One of the vehicles on todays GRR broke down. Nothing disasterous and we managed to coax it the couple of miles back to the main road. ...only to find that the owners bought and paid for "Recovery" service were refusing to turn out as they don't cover vehicles over 16 years old. Might be worth checking what you've paid for, especially if your break-down cover says "Direct Line" on the box... 

Edited to add.. Just checked mine and its OK, but only because I'm not on their basic package - only covers vehicles up to 10 years old
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 08:58:21 PM by genem »
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

Land Rogie

• Name: Eileen Knight
Re: I'll just ring Recovery....
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 08:56:16 PM »
wow that's bad..all they've got to do is put it on the back of a lorry..same for any age of Landy...hardly rocket science and not different treatment...hope they got an earful treatment  >:(

Dave T

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 09:17:11 PM »
On the plus side, Lenny ((ranger12) is going to pick it up tomorrow for a very reasonable price, even got hs brother to come and get the keys from us, great service Lenny  :)
1994 Defender 90
2016 D4 Graphite

Black Sheep

• "should have bought a 90"
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 09:26:47 PM »
You might find this when you have a bank account with a monthly fee but it comes with extras such as travel insurance or breakdown cover. The HSBC advance account was like this and only covered cars upto 15 years old although they have changed that now.

wildwoodflower

• Name: Kathy
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 08:54:01 PM »
Lenny is excellent, and I'm sure will sort you out.

I've been very pleased with Lancaster Insurance's breakdown service - very reasonable cost and no issues with a 35-year plus Series, even when we blew a diff in France.

Pilot Custard

• Name: Ian Stuart
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 06:54:39 AM »
...only to find that the owners bought and paid for "Recovery" service were refusing to turn out as they don't cover vehicles over 16 years old.
Been there before....
When I checked, I pointed out I had insurance with them covering 3 cars.... all of which are over 10 years old - so why have they also sold me the "recovery" add-on when it doesn't cover ANYTHING I will be driving.

.... and I cancelled my policy, there & then.

jbacon

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 12:19:01 PM »
I was a member of the RAC until i bought a Landrover. After being brought back on on a lorry five times (two of which were from Norwich), they decided that they would not renew. I am now with the AA. Although i am no longer with the RAC, i could not rate them highly enough. Even after my prop shaft ripped out some fuel lines and electric cables, the RAC managed to get me back on the road. I think anyone with vehicles over 16 years should seriously consider full AA/RAC membership.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 12:21:47 PM by jbacon »

stage recovery

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 02:40:37 PM »
I am with Britannia Rescue,personal cover for any vehicle for my wife and myself,full deluxe cover on youngest son's boom boom boom machine, £120.00(does include my CSMA membership)

3 coops

• RRC HCPU/ Disco 200TDI/Ser2SWB/RiceHorseBox
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2012, 07:22:48 PM »
RAC - Been really good on the few occasions I have needed them, no problems with older Rovers, good 'common sense' approach to on the road repairs.

To be recommended.

Coop
VERY FOND OF WEISSBIER

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2012, 07:30:14 PM »
Agree with positive comments about RAC, been very good any time I've used them. My only annoyance is that they insist on sending an ordinary patrol out first to check before they'll commit a tow truck. I can see why they do it but when you've already told them " the upper swivel bearing has collapsed, no way can this be fixed by the roadside..." its a waste of everyones time to wait for the van !
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

3 coops

• RRC HCPU/ Disco 200TDI/Ser2SWB/RiceHorseBox
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2012, 02:14:54 PM »
Quite agree, I had a minor issue with holed sump from concrete debris on the road, explained that the oil was now more out than in, and they sent a van whose driver said 'yes it is' and then called for a truck.

When I emailed them after they said that some people thought they knew more than the actually did, and, something about the recovery operators being sub contractors and wanting confirmation that recovery was actually equired. As my last recovery was about 500 miles each way I suppose it does't come cheap.

I have noticed they seem to offer a lot more 'on the road' repairs now, replacement windscrees, batteries etc, not sure if this is a good service or just good business. Not sure how good the price is on a battery replacement but makes good sense to flog a new one and not pay a contractor for a long recovery, cost passed on to the driver of course.
VERY FOND OF WEISSBIER