td5 defender using water

· 5 · 1653

scotdub

td5 defender using water
« on: May 18, 2013, 11:56:57 AM »
OK a friend of mine has a 2002 td5 defender. When towing horsebox only about 30miles round trip. It uses about 1.5l of water. Now I know that the rad has just been changed by the local garage. My thoughts were headgasket as there is no visual signs of a leak.
so was taken to a garage and they tested the header tank to see if there was exhaust gasses in there but nothing.
Has anyone ever had this problem?

Gary

SJF

• Name: Stuart Ford
Re: td5 defender using water
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 07:38:10 PM »
Is there white smoke coming out exhaust when it's hot ? Dip your oil if its getting high it may be making its way to the sump big trouble there. If its whit smoking could be a cracked head it will run into the inlet or exhaust valves and burn of but will not pressurise the header tank but will give white smoke eitherway

scotdub

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 07:46:49 PM »
ohh i don't know there was not a mention of white smoke and the garage couldn't find anything wrong with it.
 I will ask again and see. Thanks

sj72blair

• Name: Steven Blair
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 11:16:30 PM »
Had this with a TD5 disco, turned out to be the water pump that was the fault. If you lie under the front of the car and look up towards the n/s front of the engine, the casing looks like a 45 degree angled smooth face with a 5mm hole in it. This is the tell tale for the water pump, look for antifreeze marks on the casing to show a leak. Not unknown to have the engine running to check it and not use any water at all but after a drive it's lost quite a bit.
Hope you get to the bottom of things.

Regards,
              Stevie.

georgew

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 09:26:40 AM »
Hopefully its not 'Water' that is in the system but a good Ratio of Antifreeze, (Coolant, summer coolant, rust inhibitor)
This will have it running at the correct temperature hopefully.

Get it Bleed properly with the correct coolant in, then if still a problem, its going to be down to tracking down the leak.
Radiator and hoses would be the thing to check first before the more involved stuff.

george
No need to be stuck for long.
www.recce-gear.co.uk