P38 diesel warning light - check engine

· 3 · 1213

tosh90

P38 diesel warning light - check engine
« on: July 31, 2012, 07:04:40 PM »
Hi

I have a 96 diesel RR P38. I have an ongoing problem, i hope its not a major one, but one that is still bothering me all the same!

I have a warning light coming on occasionally. I believe it to be the "check engine" light which looks like a picture of the end of an injector complete with spray pattern.

It comes on when it should with the ignition and then goes out again as it should when the engine starts.

The issue that I have is that the warning light flashes on for a fraction of a second and the engine seems to "die" a little bit, but then runs fine.

It usually happens when changing gear (its a manual) when the revs drop. Also sometimes happens when lifting off sharply but staying in gear.

It seems to only do it when the engine is cold, or at least its certainly worse.

Anyone got any clues or help on this issue?

Hope someone can help, as i think it may be getting worse!

Cheers

Chris

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
Re: P38 diesel warning light - check engine
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 08:06:09 PM »
We had a string of problems with our P38 that included similar symptoms - cause was actually a dud battery. Replaced the battery and all was sweetness and light. Not enough voltage getting to the ECM.
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

tosh90

Re: P38 diesel warning light - check engine
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 07:10:00 AM »
thanks for the advice.  i'll give it a go! anything to keep it out a main dealer!!!!