New gearbox, sneaking into London, off to France (again)

· 8 · 1699

wildwoodflower

• Name: Kathy
New gearbox, sneaking into London, off to France (again)
« on: June 27, 2012, 09:59:23 AM »
As my posts mostly consist of saying "We're off to France!" and then "Hey, we're back!", I thought I'd continue on the theme.

So, we're off to France in the Series 3 - again - on Friday, this time with a replacement gearbox from Beaumont 4x4, fitted and fettled by Lenny at LCS.

The old box was slipping out of second and leaking to the point of being ridiculous, so it was time to swap. The new Beaumont box is a bit of a revelation, showing up how noisy and sloppy the old unit had become. Beaumont won't guarantee any box fitted with overdrive, as they say that a worn overdrive unit and inadequately torqued castellated nut holding the drive dog to the mainshaft will kill a box in short order. I expect they are right.

I have every reason to think our overdrive is a good and Lenny has set the nut at the proper degree of torque, so we shall see. The price difference between Beaumont and Ashcroft is enough to make it worth any risk. There is a bit of weeping around the seal to the overdrive, but I've got a new and more manly gasket which should cure it.

First leg of the journey was bringing the wagon down to London last week and to smuggle her into Boris's emission zone, from which she is banned, via some very, very sneaky and underhanded back routes. So far, so good. If we've been spotted, then I'll get a letter warning me to get out within 28 days and never come back. Which suits me, as I'm moving permanently to Edinburgh from August and giving up the London place.

Meanwhile, we've lined the footwells, bulkhead, floor and seatbox with roof flashing tape. It is bitumen-backed and pretty much identical to NoiseKiller - and at £20 around 1/5th the price. Crikey- it works, too! Yet to see if we will still need earplugs at motorway speeds, but around town it is now possible to hold a normal conversation.

The children arrive in London tonight. I'll let you know how we get on.

A bientot!  Kathy

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
Re: New gearbox, sneaking into London, off to France (again)
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 05:30:22 PM »
Excellent work ! I am having some difficulty persuading herself that driving to Italy in a Lightweight would make "a nice holiday" so your posts - and pics  - are good ammo.  ;)

G.
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

wildwoodflower

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 01:49:53 PM »
Do tell her from me that its an excellent holiday for anyone prepared to trade a little bit of noise and discomfort ... for a lot of adventure and fun. Its even better if you can do it with friends in similar vehicles.

lexi

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 09:30:36 PM »

Good luck with trip and good news on the gearbox.  Can't beat a Series in summer.

aqms987

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 08:42:53 PM »
 Glad to hear of someone getting one over on Boris with his congestion malarky!

70bob

• Name: ken wishart
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 11:05:33 PM »
Best of luck with your adventure, hope the sun shines and your wipers stay parked. Regarding the LEZ, to quote Cpl. Jones, ' They ( TfL ) don't like it up em, do they' ?.

wildwoodflower

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 12:56:04 AM »
We're back in London. 2,000 miles (so far...) no catastrophes, a moment of drama, some (historic) mud, a bit of oil and a wet right foot.

I'll explain all when I have a little time to load some pictures.

ranger12

• lcsengineering.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2012, 10:48:12 PM »
Glad it all gone well, good luck with the move and new job  ;D
lcsengineering.co.uk
bobtail range rover
90 2.5td
series 11