RRC water pump

· 8 · 1780

kvz2000

• Name: Donald
RRC water pump
« on: May 31, 2012, 07:47:40 PM »
Hi All,

I think my RRC 3.9 V8 1992 requires a new water pump, can I ask if it's an easy job that I could do myself ?
Or if I was thinking about using a garage what do you think they would charge ,  the system is losing water and I can't see any drips, it's not in the oil and as there seems to be a noise from the pump pulley I am thinking water pump , all advice welcome.

Ta

Donald.

Graeme

Re: RRC water pump
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 07:58:22 PM »
when the water pump on my one went years ago it dumped water out quite quick  and is easy to replace  you may get air locks after you fill the system
how much water are you losing

cooltshirt

• savethegaywhale.com
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 08:00:05 PM »
If the water pump was leaking you would probably see traces of this.
I suggest check and double check the radiator at the bottom ....... it can rust here in the wee tubes and be hard to spot, some of the water will just evaporate and some will puddle at the base of the core. It is quite possible to have a significant leak with no drips on the ground. Try looking just after a run with the engine off, there may be a wisp of steam.
I've had this with various vehicles over the years including a V8 SD1 and if it's not the problem it's definitely worth eliminating before going deeper ..................................

good luck
1983 110 V8. RIP

rangerovering

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 08:30:42 PM »
Any white smoke once the engine is at temp?

How much is being lost? If its just in the header tank its normal

Pull a couple of spark plugs from each bank of cylinders and see what they look like, clean and washed looking/white is water ingress.

Does it have LPG fitted? The vapourisers can leak easily

Wet footwells? heater matrix gone

Heater hoses at back of engine?

Is the valley wet under the inlet manifold?

Steve

kvz2000

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 11:01:10 PM »
Hi, thanks for the info, I am losing about 300ml per 100 mile or perhaps a little more than that, has had a new radiator just before I bought it, not got LPG fitted.  I have looked carefully with engine running and have put paper below engine to try a see if any leaks but no joy. I think it does smoke ( light coloured) when ticking over with engine hot.  The vehicle runs very well and has never over heated, heater also works very well.

I think I can see water marks coming down the big radiator hose from beside water pump to bottom of radiator and it sounds noisey,
Cheers
Donald

ffourphantomfixer

• Name: Andrew Forrest
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 06:15:39 PM »
Waterpump is nice and cheap and easy to change so it wont hurt to change it. it will be noisy for a reason.
She said at my age I need something else to play with

kvz2000

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 07:11:46 PM »
Yes agree, think its the first place to start, I have fitted one to my sons old merc so hopefully be able to do this one,

Donald

ffourphantomfixer

• Name: Andrew Forrest
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 01:12:13 PM »
You will need to remove the fan if fitted, i think its 36mm.

My 3.9 is in a Disco and according to the "book" the viscous coupling is a left hand thread, no it isnt or at least not on mine, I fitted 2 x 12" elec fans and just done away with the thing.

Drew.
She said at my age I need something else to play with